Uncategorized

Great place for turfgrass – your driveway

Driveway-green21_655964artw Time for a cool-product review, this time for something that lets us drive and park on turfgrass, rather than asphalt or concrete.  I know we're supposed to hate lawn these days but compared to those impermeable surfaces, turfgrass is positively saintly.  When lawn is grown through this hard plastic grid, it can survive being parked on, and soil compaction is greatly reduced, too.

The product is called On Top – because it can just be laid on top of turfgrass.
Driveway16re01_j_655967artw

Posted by on June 5, 2010 at 3:15 am, in the category Uncategorized.

14 responses to “Great place for turfgrass – your driveway”

1. Cheryl Robinson-Atwood says:

Turfgrass? I searched on the term, and didn’t come up with a specific type of grass. My gravel drives (here in the Kentucky woods) are long, too expensive to pave, impossible to keep weed-free by hand or hoe, and I will NOT use chemicals. I’ve finally accepted letting them grow green, with frequent, short mowing. No need to water here. Am I on the cutting edge of a new trend, or hopelessly “out of it”?

2. Dave Reed says:

This is fine for overflow parking areas, but grass will not survive for long with cars parked on it, or with cars driving over it consisently.

3. Iris says:

Love the idea.

In Europe they tax differently for paved surface versus permeable surface to mitigate against the enormous flooding they’ve had in recent years. Well, we’re having those flooding problems, too.

However, I’d be curious as to how well it holds up to being snow-plowed across in the winter months, since even my gravel drive doesn’t withstand that very well and needs to be raked back every spring.

4. Katherine says:

Looking at their website, it appears that the method of use is that there is a sort of plastic grid that rises slightly above the bottom of the grass blades (perhaps about 1-2 centimeters, more depending on what model you get?) this grid then supports the weight of the car, rather than the grass, so the grass’ root structure isn’t disturbed when you drive over it. It would probably still keep your grass pretty short if you drove over it a lot, but I imagine that isn’t much of a concern for most people, seeing as that’s usually the idea. X);

5. Michele Owens says:

Nicer than asphalt, which is just ugly.

6. Chris Upton says:

I have some experience with these applications and one problem that usually surfaces (sic) is that the spaces fill in fairly quickly, the grass ends up, no longer growing below the driving surface, but on a level with the top and the effect is lost.

I’ve always wondered if using a blower regularly to remove the wind/water born material in the recesses would at least prolong the life of the systems.

7. Deirdre says:

I have a gravel driveway which I dislike. Some day I hope to remove it, and replace it with some other permeable material. How would this plastic grid compare to the cement block grids?

8. Aunt Ida says:

The local college uses the cement block grids at the corners where concrete walkways cross. Students can cut corners and the corners don’t become mud pits in winter and dust pits in the summer. We thought about doing this to our driveway, but we rarely drive the cars and the grass wouldn’t do well in the shade under the cars.

9. anne says:

Way back in the 1960’s a neighbor of ours made their driveway with aggregate rock/concrete slabs about 3 x 5 feet, and strategically interspersed the slabs with beds planted with ornamental strawberries. Cars drove on the concrete parts, but the strawberry beds allowed rainwater to be absorbed and caught runoff from the concrete (and the rough surface of the rock aggregate/concrete kept it from getting slick). It looked really nice.

10. Paul says:

…great in theory, but skeptical of it surviving our New England winters; plowing being my biggest concern.

11. Laura Bell says:

I’ve suggested to the principal @ my kids’ school that one of these systems would make an excellent replacement for the current parking lot/playground they currently have, at least in the areas that aren’t used for four-square & basketball. It would help cool the school by limiting reflected heat, provide a soft but still playable surface, yet still be useable as a parking surface when needed. Well, we can dream, can’t we ?

12. ~Deirdre says:

hmmm…and how do I convince the city code enforcement officer not to write me a ticket for parking my vehicle on an “unfinished surface”?

13. James says:

Hmmm. I want to believe something like this grid would work but I’ve seen turf grass thatch up and grow over a sidewalk, let alone these little grids. What happens when the ground is saturated? I can see the car just pressing the grid down into the mud.

Those concrete grids aren’t so great either for the thatch reason. You can’t de-thatch any of these grid systems as far as I know and weeding them with the weed roots tangling in the grid…

Cars and plants just don’t mix. I like the suggestion of laying “tracks” thereby having a planting strip down the middle. But then you’ve got brake dust and oil drips etc to deal with. Just get rid of the car is my suggestion. :)

14. the flexfly says:

how about foregoing the whole driveway thing and just parking on the street – which would create more room in the yard for more gardens! Less parking = more parks.