Eat This

The bra garden. Yes.

Bragarden
We can’t make this stuff up. If only we could. Kathy/Cold
Climate Gardening
gave me the heads-up about the ingenious rice-growing bra
that Triumph, a Japanese lingerie maker, has devised. This is how it works:

The pots can be filled with soil and rice seedlings, and the
wearer waters the rice with a hose that doubles as a belt that loops around the
waist.

Right. According the New York Daily News article where Kathy
found this, the bra garden kit will not actually be sold; it’s just an imaginative
promotion to connect their company to urban farming, which is getting as
popular in Japan as it is here.

This reminds me of when I was a kid—my grandmother was
always telling me that she could grow potatoes behind my ears, they were so
dirty. Did any of you ever get that? Anyway, I don’t predict this gardening
method will gain much traction among those of us who are more or less sane, but you can’t
resist the questions, like …

How small do you have to be? There doesn’t look like there’s
a lot of room in there.

For it to work, wouldn’t it need to be a top more than a
bra? The seedlings would need sun as well as water.

And so on. There is a smidgeon of actual news here, about the world-wide
popularity of urban farming. And that’s a good thing. Right?

Posted by on May 15, 2010 at 5:00 am, in the category Eat This.

15 responses to “The bra garden. Yes.”

1. belle says:

This is hilarious, I wonder it it’ll come in larger sized for full blooms

2. Li'l Ned says:

One of my favorite Mrs. Piggle Wiggle stories when I was a kid (and, come to think of it, still is) was ‘The Radish Cure’ — about a little girl who refused to take a bath. Eventually, she is so encrusted with dirt that the mother is able to secretly plant radish seeds on her arms while the child is asleep one night. When the seeds sprout, the little girl is horrified and begs for a bath. While I, personally, was never in danger of having this ‘cure’ pulled on me, I was a bit worried that my mom would try ‘The Slow Eater, Tiny Bite Taker cure’…..

Do kids still read these wonderful books? Although they are not models for the average gardener (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle encouraged the neighborhood children to dig in her garden for buried treasure (her late husband having been a pirate), the author’s genuine insight into parent/child relationship would still ring true, I bet, for today’s kids. The author, Betty MacDonald, also wrote the wonderful adult book ‘The Egg and I’ and its sequels.

3. Laura Munoz says:

Oh, I want one of these for my 22 y/o daughter. She would wear it too, I know she would.–Maybe not out in public though. So very funny!

4. That sounds chilly to me. And it seems designed for annuals, anything larger and perennial might interfere with eating. But I suppose you could never use the excuse, “well I just forgot to water it!”

5. Melody says:

We used to tell our kids that you could grow potatoes in their ears because they were so dirty. When my daughter was about 3 years old, she had a severe ear infection. The PA at the ER told her there was a potato growing in her ear. Every time she woke up that night she would cry and tell me to get the potato out of her ear! I had to take her back the next day and let the PA tell her the potato was gone. Luckily. we live in a small town and the PA was a good friend LOL

6. Aunt Ida says:

I guess that type of garden would work as long as the wearer never had to bend over!

7. Sorta makes my Jackmanii Jock look silly now, doesn’t it?

8. Laura Bell says:

Given all the water it takes to grow grass, I can’t imagine the twins would be very happy …

9. greg draiss says:

The gist is urban farming and it rocks.

So much for: Tagetes for testicles

The TROLL

10. Ficurinia says:

And how does one sleep I wonder? On a bed of fluffy rice?

11. Tibs says:

Love Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books L’l Ned. When I re-read them as an adult I realized just how much adult humor there was. It was definately a poke at the suburban life style of the post war years. I remember the one story that describes the mom getting breakfast ready. She made coffe, scrambled eggs, sausage, toast, waffles, had the plates warming in the oven, fresh squeezed orange juice. Then she drove her husband to the train station and took the kids to school. This was incidental to the story it self. MY family was lucky if they got cold poptarts on weekdays.

12. Layanee says:

What a great idea for recycling my well used foundation garments. I am going to stop complaining about size and realize that I can get quite a crop from this new gadget. Topsy turvy move aside and make room for Boobsie woosies. Save the landfills! LOL

13. commonweeder says:

i loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and so did my children – and I’m sure I had potatoes growing behind my ears – but the rice bra shows an unexpected aspect of the Japanese sense of humor

14. I heard a true story about a kid who had a terrible ear ache. The doctor took a look at his ear and found that a bean (from a bean bag) had gotten into his ear and SPROUTED.

15. My Mum used to tell me that if I didn’t wash my neck properly that I’d have mushrooms growing back there. Now that made me scrub really well.