Uncategorized

Horticulture Students Do it for Love

Fullscreen capture 562010 84239 PM

The Huffington Post offers this round-up of the lowest paying college degrees and guess what – horticulture made the top 10!

Posted by on May 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm, in the category Uncategorized.

10 responses to “Horticulture Students Do it for Love”

1. Suzanne says:

I am so so sorry. Hey, us librarians are right there with ya. Dad was an extension agent and we had a good
    life, but he worked very very hard. But he advises me on my veg even today (plus let’s me borrow his ancient truck for hauling, which is FAB). Good luck to all hort and ag grads this year!

2. Tell me about it. I did specifically ask myself that question while in college. You know this isn’t a high paying field. Are you sure this is what you want to do. Most definitely. I can not sit behind a desk for the major portion of my life.

You never know, a major shift in how we live on this planet could make my skill set highly valued and well payed. I should live so long.

3. angelchrome says:

I’d rather have a low paid job I love than a high paid job I hate. I gotta say it’s completely disgusting that teachers are still being paid so pitifully low. We’ve got to start making that a priority and trying to attract more talented people to the profession.

4. Genevieve says:

I think it’s all in the marketing and business sense. So many of my landscaper pals are just freaking hopeless when it comes to making money, but there is no reason why this should not be a high-paying field.

The reason the pay sucks is that so many gardeners have a negative gut reaction to trying to make money. It’s like any business, you can create a job for yourself or create a business for yourself. One is backbreaking and poorly paid and the other is as lucrative as you wish to make it.

I guess I’m not really commenting on those who go out and get a j-o-b in horticulture. The concept is foreign to me. Why in the world I’d work for peanuts for someone else when I could work for good money for myself… I do not know. “Security” doesn’t exist in jobs anymore. It’s about diversification.

5. Chris Upton says:

We’re not in it for the money!

6. Here’s what I tell my students: All the money in the world won’t make you love a job you hate.

7. Surely one of the problems is that horticulture is seasonal in most of the country. So you overwork and have no life in summer, and then you are underemployed or unemployed in the winter. Not an attractive prospect for most young people.

8. Liz says:

As a recent grad in horticulture, I think that the seasonal nature of most jobs is the hardest to deal with. Even if I love my job, it doesn’t last full time year round.

9. gardenmentor says:

Here’s a twist: when I was laid off from a well paid, high tech job in 2002, I was able document the potential that I could make more in a field on the rise – horticulture – than I could if I stayed in a field in decline – tech management. It may be hard to believe, but the stats were there.

Today, after studying hort and pursuing a career in it, I may not be making tech-level dollars, but I’m a helluva lot happier.

10. greg draiss says:

You can make money in this field. The stats are skewed to the retail end where it is a slave like existence to the almighty consumer, and where retailers destroy family life with rotating schedules,no two days off in a row because they fear you will actually enjoy your self etc. being open on major holidays when there is no business blah blah blah. There are some family run garden centers who care about their staff. However most retail is not like this. After 32 years of nights and weekends I now have a normal Monday-Friday schedule and a six figure income. The sixty hour work week, two jobs, is still there but that comes with the territory