Taking Your Gardening Dollar

Vertical Planters

Spotted at the garden center. What do we think?  I'll show you one with plants and one without so you can contemplate the construction.  The bottom of each layer is open to the layer below for drainage–until you get to the bottom layer, where I believe you can either drill holes or not.

Planter

Planter2

Posted by on April 21, 2010 at 5:17 am, in the category Taking Your Gardening Dollar.

14 responses to “Vertical Planters”

1. Katie says:

efficient use of space! Not sure if they’re deep enough for some plants. Would make a nice “movable” garden.

2. Heisenberg says:

Gosh that’s great. You could even put that on an apartment patio.

3. Fiona says:

I think this would be a good way to wedge in an herb garden close to your kitchen.

4. Like a wooden strawberry pot! I think you’d have to watch so the top plants don’t shade out the bottom plants…

5. Gardenology says:

You’d need to have a south facing wall to get in enough sun for many plants, making it ideal for smaller plants like many herbs, strawberries, annual flowers, etc… If not, perhaps sun lovers on top, shade lovers below?

6. I think it looks like a repurposed magazine rack. Not a fan, but maybe it’s the 80s colonial home decoration flashbacks I’m having that are throwing me off.

7. Laura Bell says:

Huh.

Would want to know what type of wood that is – could be cedar, which would resist rot longer, but looks a bit more like pine – and any ‘treatment’ its had. Otherwise it’s a nifty idea, would be really useful for those of us with limited space but unlimited garden dreams.

8. Nina says:

Doesn’t matter what kind of wood it’s made of; it would rot out pretty quickly since you’ll have to water frequently to keep the shallow “beds” from drying out. Looks to me like more of the same garden goofiness that brought us the topsy-turvy tomato planters.

9. DrJohn and Bruno says:

I built something similar to that a few years ago. Great use of space, but it dries out way to fast in the heat of the summer.

10. Eliz says:

I’m with Heather–magazine rack. Meh.

11. Marie says:

I’ve seen these work very well made out of wire, rather than wood. Can’t say I love the design.

My mom screws a wire trellis to the wall and hangs pots and troughs off that, making a whole wall work as garden. Good for lettuce/leaves, herbs, scallions, strawberries…

12. Kaveh Maguire says:

Not a fan. I am gardening in a very small space (a 40 sq.ft. balcony) but I wouldn’t use something like that. A few shelves for smaller terracotta pots and the rest just get bunched up together. Unless it is an epiphyte and is meant to grow vertically I think plants look silly growing like that.

13. sara says:

I’m going to try something like this. It’s very clever for saving space. Going to build it out of used wood.

14. Linda says:

can someone please e-mail me. I want to purchase the sunflower showers for outside.thanks
    linjeanp@aol.com please under subject state sunflower shower. so I don’t delete it by accident. Thank you so much Lin