Uncategorized

These Things Come Up With The Snowdrops!

IMG_3061

Snowdrops are nice, but in my opinion, a real country flower that looks best in huge clumps in the woods.

For a more cosmopolitan take on early spring, I prefer iris histrioides 'George.'  The photo above does not do justice to George's velvety urbanity.  He's already beginning to fade by now, having carried March all by himself.

Posted by on April 2, 2010 at 8:34 am, in the category Uncategorized.

16 responses to “These Things Come Up With The Snowdrops!”

1. Bob says:

The dwarf purple iris are beautiful; I’ve been growing them for 4-5 years.

I’ve planted YELLOW dwarf iris; few come up (even 1st year), fewer still next year…they don’t seem to spread.

Any idea as to WHY dwarf yellow iris performs so poorly, while the purple iris a foot away does splendidly?

BTW…Bloodroot is starting to fade; double bloodroot is just starting to bloom. First Toothwort, Yellow Violet, and Dutchman’s Breeches all began bloom in the last 2-3 days.

2. I so agree – we have a whole PlantProfile in our spring issue on Dwarf Iris and we highlight ‘George’ specifically as it is a gorgeous, velvety little guy.

3. BV says:

Of all the spring bulbs, I much much prefer these. This is my 2nd year with them, and I have several clumps that are very lush, but only for a few days (but do crocus last more tahn a few days? nope).

4. keewee says:

I really like the dwarf iris. This one is a lovely shade of purple.

5. I’m addicted to dwarf irises — though I prefer the lighter blues to George. I just don’t find that his dark color really stands out against the dominate browns of early spring.

6. Laura says:

I have a few blue and yellow dwarf iris’ that pop up early in the spring. They are always a welcome sight!

7. John says:

The dark blue ‘Harmony’ is my fav.

8. My snow drops are about done and the dwarf iris hasn’t started blooming yet. I kind of like them both. But you know what I think is an even more fun spring flower? Skunk Cabbage:

9. I like the bluer I. reticulata better too. (Sorry, I’d have to dig into a file folder of shipping receipts to figure out the cultivars.) I. histroides ‘Katherine Hodgkins’ with it’s pale blue-green/yellow blooms is my favorite, though. And it’s very early for me.

10. Meg says:

Did they change the Latin name again? Last I looked ‘George’ was a reticulata. Admittedly I don’t look at things like that (Latin names, not ‘George’ which I love and does nicely in my garden) very often.

11. Eileen says:

Nothing better than scilla flowers in the spring covering a large amount of property or under an old tree.

Eileen

12. Isn’t to early for Dwarf Iris? I mean, in our garden they always grow between april 15 – 25.

I agree that purple iris are beautiful and it must have in everyones garden no doubt about it.

13. Kaveh Maguire says:

I planted thousands of minor bulbs in my old garden a few years back. The Chionodoxa will be blooming in a few weeks. One of the few things I miss about living on the east coast. As many as I planted each fall I never felt like it was enough in the spring and would order more and more each year.

14. I do love these iris, too.

15. tibs says:

When we moved into our house years ago there was a 2′ patch of what someone told me was a crested iris. A pale blue lovely little thing, well established. Then one year it was gone. Never did replace it. Maybe I should. But the Tommies crocus last for a long time, so maybe I will just get more of them.

16. There are so many spring flowering bulbs that pop up without stature and that would blow us away if only they could be seen from a distance.
    I am disappointed, as you are, that they do not photograph well enough to be shared with readers.