Real Gardens

Hellooooo, March!

We thought you'd never get here.  We never realized before what you mean to us.  How you may just be the prettiest month of the year, despite what anybody says.

So to bring glory to your name we offer a humble sampling of the floral splendor you'll be bringing to the gardens of so many color-starved plant-worshipers, at least the ones here in Zone 7 (and some careful zone-pushers in Zone 6).

DaffodilsFlickrAndrewStawarz
                             Daffodils photo credit.

MuscariFlickrfotogabry
                   Grape hyacinth photo credit.

HelleboreFlickrXerones
                         Hellebore photo credit.

CrocusFlickrSwamibu

Crocuses at Kew Gardens in London.  Photo credit.

Purpletulips1-400

Tulips in my garden.

Sun-worshipping, too
Of course it's not just color we miss, or we'd all be happy with cut flowers from Ecuador.  We miss the warmth of the sun, dammit.  Finally last weekend it actually warmed up enough for me – and several of my neighbors, I noticed – to sit in the sun and just soak it in.

Speaking of the sun, my orthopedist told me that vitamin D deficiency is rampant, and I wonder if that's true of us gardeners. If we slather up and cover up, are we missing out on something we need?  Anyway, this month I plan to do some serious sun-sitting – on doctor's orders.

Posted by on March 1, 2010 at 3:51 am, in the category Real Gardens.

18 Responses to “Hellooooo, March!”

1. Les says:

Yes hello for sure, but I sure hope March does not try to pull any stunts like her bad little sister, February, did this winter, or I’m going to tell.

2. “Prettiest month of the year”? Really? Are you just trying to butter her up? Good idea. (I’ve been badmouthing March and will probably be duly punished.)

3. gail says:

It’s cold and cloudy here with more of the same until this weekend. Come on March do your spring thing is my daily plea! I also had a Vitamin D deficiency. Once the sun comes out I am going to bathe in it! gail

4. Fiona says:

Amen. I am so, so, SO ready for sun, warmth, and a few flowers.

And since this is my first year of bulbs (daffodils, tulips, and a smattering of crocus) I’m hoping for a reward in a few weeks.

5. I have given up and am going to Maui. The world here is currently encased in a thick layer of rime and more snow is on the way. Perhaps March will have arrived when I get back.

6. Bob says:

The very earliest native wildflowers are up here… Skunk Cabbage is in bloom!

Although I will be happier when the Bloodroot appears:)

7. Laura Bell says:

Popes are popping all over here. The apricot tree is now shedding its petals but the plum is in full blooming glory. I expect the peach & Asian pear to start their shows by the end of the week, but the cherry is still a bit off. I noticed my freesia & callas have buds … If only the rain will hold off long enough for me to appreciate it all !

8. sara says:

Thanks for the picture at Kew. The most fragrant experience of my life was walking past their carpet beds of hyacinths at the beginning of April. I had a raging cold on that trip, but could smell and practically taste the sweetness of the pink and blue hyacinths in bloom.

9. commonweeder says:

You are breaking my heart, Susan. I’ve got 3 feet of snow, except where it has drifted to 6 or 8 feet.

10. Rosella says:

Well, I’ve got a snowdrop. One must be thankful for one’s blessings, and I am not ungrateful for this snowdrop. I have been out there admiring it this morning, but I am wondering when the rest of them will come out to join it. I usually say bad things about March, but not this year. And the insurance assessor, the roofers and gutter people, and the painter have all promised to show up in March, to put us back to rights after the ice dam.

11. Nice. Thanks for the photos. I have one crocus, a smattering of hellebores and a few snowdrops. Oh, I can’t forget ‘Diane’ my hamamelis. She is the prettiest of the bunch.~~Dee

12. .Deirdre says:

You don’t want to hear about Seattle having the warmest January and February on record, do you? You don’t want to hear about my snowdrops, crocus, daffodils, winter aconites, winter daphne, or heather, so I won’t mention them. I won’t tell you about the forsythia, plum and magnolia trees in bloom either. That would be cruel.

13. Bryn says:

I’m in Zone 7 too (waving at Deirdre from Olympia), but thanks to our microclimate, my daffodils are still buds as are the red currant and my hyacinths. The only thing blooming is the Indian Plum trees. Well, the hazelnut cattails are out, but they don’t really count, do they?

14. Tom Fischer says:

I’m a little worried about Laura and her popping popes. I believe that sort of thing used to happen quite often in the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

15. Laura Bell says:

@Tom : It’s the perils of cut-and-paste on a gimpy keyboard ;~) Supposed to be “poppies” (but I’m sure everyone figured that one out).

Vowing to proofread scrupulously from now on …

16. tibs says:

The snow pile has eased back by the front steps and there are all the snowdrops blooming away. They had just started to peek their pointy white noses out before the snow. The tough little things grew and bloomed under snow. Not just a blanket of snow, but a big ol’ pile of snow removed from the front walk. They smell like honey.

17. Oh yes March, my favorite month to love and hate. Here in zone 4 (well ok 5 some years) we love the “idea” of March but the reality is it is still winter for the most of it….unless your in my basement, where its been Late April for a couple weeks. But, it is the beginning of the end, so come on and hurry in Spring!!!

18. wow look at all that colour, absolutly lovely