Uncategorized

Avoiding A Jobless Recovery

IMG_2934Post-recession mud season mess

2009 was the worst gardening year in the Northeast since records have been kept.  Not everything suffered, of course. Baptisia and bankruptcy lawyers both did fine.  There were actually bonuses for the most aggressive roses, which managed to capitalize on a combination of sandy soil and beating rain in certain yards and bloom spectacularly. But even a $787 billion stimulus package could not save the region's tomatoes and potatoes.

An air of misery hung over many yards, and its root cause was not credit default swaps, as destructive as they were.  It was excessive carbon emissions leading to increased spring precipitation in the region, combined with unsustainable levels of household indebtedness. When household incomes failed to rise during the last decade, Americans maintained their standard of living by borrowing, often for the purchase of bulbs–including ephemeral bulbs such as hybrid tulips that offered no lasting advantage to the household economy.  Businesses like Brent & Becky's were the beneficiary of an extreme lack of credit discipline on the part of the American people.

As a result, dried lily stalks and lily stakes dotted certain yards last spring like a particularly severe hangover.  They overhung the spring's first crocuses and species irises like the ghosts of parties past, parties at which one has said particularly stupid things at a particularly late hour.

So clear out the debris, you say!  Regroup!  Turn a new page and learn some discipline!  Eventually, in many yards that is exactly what happened, though later than many economists expected.  Many households were simply unwilling to clean things up in late April or early May, fearful that they might actually set themselves back by stomping on emerging perennials.

Do a fall clean-up, you say?  Get rid of all those drying perennial stalks and the whole depressing lily mess then, ahead of schedule?  Excellent in theory, but impossible in practice.  By the time the stalks have completely died back in early November, overstretched gardeners are too busy processing the inventory yielded by the vegetable garden and digging themselves yet deeper into debt by planting a few hundred tulips.

IMG_2932 After the jobs program

No, now is the time for decisive action, at the very beginning of mud season. Yes, there are green shoots under the snow, a hopeful sign that the economy will eventually recover.  And yes, a few of those green shoots will be crushed by the gardener's boots as she yanks the lily stakes out of the only partways defrosted soil. There are no perfect solutions.

But the main concern here at this particular moment is getting the gardener back to work. It's been a long period of unemployment for many gardeners, and many are discouraged by a job hunt that has gone on for months.  At this point, even shoveling dog poop out of the front perennial beds feels like a job well worth doing.

Posted by on March 5, 2010 at 5:19 am, in the category Uncategorized.

15 responses to “Avoiding A Jobless Recovery”

1. Fiona says:

Funny! And stop snooping – how did you know I spent yesterday picking up winter piles of dog poo?

2. Michelle says:

Rolling on the floor laughing my a$$ off!

3. Liisa says:

This was superbly awesome. Thank you!

4. Liisa's husband says:

awesome.

5. Jane says:

Loved it. And yes, tomorrow is Poop Patrol for me too.

6. Laura Bell says:

Another classic garden rant !

7. Tara Dillard says:

More focus. What type of gardeners needing work are you referring to?

Not all gardeners had a bad year. Some had a fabulous 2008. Even during winter.

There are many types of doctors, and lawyers. Gardeners too.

Why lump gardeners together?

It hurts an entire profession.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

8. So glad to see I am am not the only dispirited one. I hesitate to even look under my frost cover to see what remains of the spinach, lettuce, etc seedlings. We plant the first week in January and begin harvesting at the end of Feb. Not this year. I need 3 harvests of mesclun to make a profit (first one pays for the seeds, second one pays for my time, third one gives me some cash). Guess I am working for free this year! If I’m lucky and don’t go totally in the hole. When the hell is spring coming???!!!!! http://www.ruffledfeathersandspilledmilk.com

9. Margot says:

Thanks Michele, your piece is brilliant and funny too. Just the thing to cool my Spring Fever.

10. Donna V says:

Yesterday was the first day I could really get out and do some raking – and I piled all containers brimming full and left them for the other gardener in the house to dump where he pleases. And I did it in shorts. Insane to go from frigid cold to overheated in jeans and sleeveless teeshirt. Our winter has been so wet, tilling means turning soil into mudpies – we are moving tomatoes to where the geese have lived the last 3 years and still the geese reside in the same location because it has been too wet to move anything. Today is cloudy at present – maybe it will burn off – the temp is to be the same as yesterday – maybe I can rake another area – and pick up the broken twigs from a hard hard freeze winter of 2007 that have finally fallen. Man am I behind.

11. If you really want to see why not to “clean-up” your garden go the Battery Conservancy – no spring up necessary
    p

12. sara says:

Eh, the recession never really hit my yard 😛 I’ve been steadily toiling in it since the frost killed my remaining pumpkins in November, and through the cold hail and rains of December and January, and through the weirdness that was February.

To make matters not necessarily worse but more interesting, my chickens organized and I found a list of demands in one of the nesting boxes tucked under an egg. International Sisterhood of Backyard Hens and Egg Technicians, Union Local #12.

13. Michele Owens says:

Hey, sara, Chicken Run is one of my favorite movies, too. Nobody should be allowed to have chickens before a viewing or two.

14. Old Kim says:

Plants rule! Raise the sidewalk.

15. sara says:

Ha! Michelle, I wasn’t even thinking about Chicken Run when I initially posted about the girls organizing over at my blog awhile back, so this is such a crackup.