GardenRant edition. The whole newsletter is right here.
- Outstanding original reporting on school food by Slow Cook Ed Bruske in his Tales from a DC Kitchen. That led to this interview on the Kojo Show.
- Urban gardeners – all gardeners – need to know about compost, right? And Dr. Frank Gouin is The Man on the subject. Here's what he recently said about it.
- Urban and suburban gardeners, take inspiration from this gorgeous front yard mix of edibles and ornamentals.
- Why first-time veg-growers get discouraged (make that FAIL) by Robin Ripley.
- Citywide organic-waste composting coming to Montreal.
Sustainable Gardening on the Web
- Great article about pervious driveways on Sunset's blog. Photos and info are by sustainable-gardening author/designer Owen Dell.
- Is teak a sustainable wood for outdoor furniture? Mostly no.
- $5 DIY Compost Bin for Leaves from Southern Post Journal.
- I LOVE these world-champion Boogie-Woogie Dancers! Just like I used to do it. (Okay, I lie).
- But this seasoned gardener IS having a blast doing Hot Broadway Jazz.
In the Garden
- Plant of the Month? Gotta be Winterberry Holly (photo above from Lewis Ginter Botanic Garden).
- Winter's the perfect time to catch up on garden recordkeeping.