Uncategorized

Child Obesity Campaign is Launched, Website is UP

Lets move The website's called Let's Move – and it went live today.  Pursuing the hot topic of school gardens, I naturally went first to the page about Healthier Schools but darn, didn't see anything about gardens.  I did find this in the sidebar (oops):

What You Can Do in Your Scchool & Community

Thank you, anonymous government worker, for making me feel better about my own lapses from proofreading excellence.

Posted by on February 9, 2010 at 4:55 pm, in the category Uncategorized.

7 responses to “Child Obesity Campaign is Launched, Website is UP”

1. Eileen says:

I just sent this article to a friend of mine who tried for thirty-five years to get the school system to change the lunch program. Needless to say, she was not successful because of the money they made by serving junk food. She was a physical education teacher who had been trained to support best practices in terms of health.

2. Liza says:

It’s funny that you not only found a typo, but pointed it out. Were we separated at birth?

3. greg draiss says:

Won’t work, been tried before. Until parents get ba##s again and take control of their lives the gluttony will continue.
    Noamount of government money will solve this.

The TROLL

4. Daniel says:

I, too, was disappointed to see that school gardening/kitchen programs were not promoted, like the Edible Schoolyard approach of Alice Waters.

BUT, click on the “Accessible and Affordable Healthy Food” link. Then, notice the links on the right side, especially “Make Healthy Changes for Your Neighborhood”. Community gardens are promoted.

My concern is that community gardens seem to often be created and used by “green thumbs”. How can the average, “black thumb” American be encouraged to grow some of his or her families’ own produce? I think that linking community kitchens with community gardens is a key factor. Everyone loves to eat. We all have more than enough confidence with putting tasty things in our mouths. Also, most people feel at least some adequacy in the kitchen. So, begin with eating/cooking and then work back to planting. Eat freshly grown produce together. Celebrate good, slow food! Then, cook freshly grown food together in a community kitchen. Then, eat and celebrate some more! Then, begin to grow that fresh food together in community gardens. Then, cook; then, eat! Repeat weekly. I believe, then, that intimidated “black thumbs” will gain the education and confidence and ENTHUSIASM to grow some of their own food in a garden.

5. susan harris says:

Liza, I’m in the middle of being shocked about my own typos – on the 275 pages of my website. I just finished moving them to WordPress, which helpfully puts all my typos in red for me to see and I’m – well, shocked. Horrified. Humbled.

6. Liza says:

Susan, don’t be so hard on yourself. It’s hard to proofread your own words, really hard! Your content is important, I hope you can remember that. And to make you feel better, I’ll mispell teh rist ov thes santance, weir oll hoomans, itse okk.

7. Joy Kuebler says:

I am concerned that the links to gardens in anyway seem to be convoluted and difficult to find. Elizabeth, can I link our web page with School 90’s garden for those here on your blog to see what we have started in Buffalo. Phase 4 school construction is underway and we will have 4 more of these spaces. Some will be the same learning environments, some will mix in play, and two are high school based science leaning labs.