Designs, Tricks, and Schemes

For year-round color in the garden, house paint!

Takoma

For Bloom Day I did my usual cheating and showed you bark and
architecture
in not my own but a public garden – cheating being great sport for us gardeners experiencing actual
winter (as opposed to whatever Californians call their bizarre climate).

But for great color no matter the weather or how dormant the garden
may be, you can’t beat house color – love those painted ladies!  So here’s a sampling from a walk through my
neighborhood and I thank my neighbors for their imaginations, their daring-do as
homeowners, and their willing to pay good house painters and sometimes
even color consultants.

Takoma1

Back home, the light-blue siding and white trim on my Sears bungalow sure look dull.  Low-maintenance, but dull.

Posted by on January 18, 2010 at 5:10 am, in the category Designs, Tricks, and Schemes.

12 Responses to “For year-round color in the garden, house paint!”

1. For all the hours we spent staining the cedar siding on our addition sky blue, we thank you. Sixteen years later, and we’re still glad we did.

2. Bob says:

Well, it won’t work for me (ours is a non-descript old house, now steel-sided:), but I think it’s absolutely great.

Starting about 15 years ago, a number of “big old houses” in our area were painted that way; blues, reds, lavenders, yellow starbursts.

I think that the general response was “great!”, but do you know that a few people were offended? Conformity is SO important to some folks:)

3. Liza says:

Color consultant? I didn’t know you could make a career from color! That’s so much better than the career I was planning on creating as ambassador of Nature.

4. Sarah says:

One of the easiest ways I’ve found to add color to my winter garden is to paint and hang wooden birdhouses. You can get a number of designs at a large craft store, usually for under 5 or 10 bucks. It’s also a cool way to play with house paint colors.

5. Hoover says:

as opposed to whatever Californians call their bizarre climate

We call it “Mediterranean”. Dry warm summers, cool rainy (hopefully rainy) winters. Since the garden color is nonstop, I guess that explains why so many of the houses are beige. ;^)

6. …it’s dangerous to inspire… just the heading had me imagining painting my house a yellow ocher. Now, where did that come from?!?

7. Deirdre says:

The previous owners of our 1916 craftsman bungalow put in white vinyl windows. It’s going to make picking out a new color scheme difficult. White vinyl is not very craftsman. We took out the white vinyl fence they put in easily enough, but replacing the windows would be expensive. Any ideas.

8. I will say the Molera Vaquero Red cement columns of the cozy cabin with the yellow umber dry stack stone walls makes a very strong and pleasing statement in a thick coat of snow or the bare naked browns and greys of winter.

9. mark marino says:

thanks for the very interesting take on garden color in the winter !

10. We have an area of pained ladies in Atlanta. They are beautiful! It’s a place to walk, not drive. It’s so nice to see individual looking homes instead of rows of all the same.

11. Micah says:

I’ll stick to the gardening. House painting is actual work, as opposed to just playing in the dirt :)

12. greg draiss says:

What I find interesting in Athens, NY is what the directors of the Historic District Commision command on houses and buildings desginated as histroic. Any changes to the exterior of a builing with historic designation must be approved. They limit home colrs to black and white. However “back in the day” the original owners painted their homes all kinds of funky colors.