Shut Up and Dig

Jeff Gillman’s Hort Research that Gardeners can Use

1 Klingeman, W. E., G. V. Pettis, and S. K. Braman.  2009.  Lawn care and landscape maintenance professional acceptance of insect- and disease-resistant ornamental plants.  HortScience 44(6): 1608-1615.

2Gill, H. K., R. McSorley, and D. D. Treadwell.  2009.  Comparative Performance of Different Plastic Films for Soil Solarization and Weed Suppression.  HortTechnology 19: 769-774.

3Fidanza, M. A., and D. D. Davis.  2009.  Recycled mushroom compost suppresses bird’s nest fungi in landscape mulch.  Journal of Environmental Horticulture 27(4):238-240.

4Bertin, C. A. F. Senesac, F. S. Rossi, A. DiTommaso and L. A. Weston.  2009.  Evaluation of Selected Fine-leaf Fescue Cultivars for Their Turfgrass Quality and Weed Suppressive Ability in Field Settings.  HortTechnology 19: 660-668.

5Brotton, J. C., and J. C. Cole.  2009.  Brushing Using a Hand Coated with Body Lotion or in a Latex Glove Decreases African Violet Plant Quality and Size.  HortTechnology 19: 613-616.

6Curtis, P.D., G.B. Curtis, and W. B. Miller.  2009.  relative resistancne of ornamental flowering bulbs to feeding damage by voles.  HortTechnology 19: 499-503.

Posted by on January 14, 2010 at 5:18 am, in the category Shut Up and Dig.

7 responses to “Jeff Gillman’s Hort Research that Gardeners can Use”

1. colchicum KILLED 7 voles in the study? Awesome… I’m going to have to plant some.

2. Cheryl says:

why “control” Birds Next Fungi? I think its cute and it isn’t hurting the plant, right?

3. Bob says:

Why would one want to suppress “Birds Nest Fungus”? Fascinating stuff…it’s always worth a look!

I wish I had more varieties of woodland mushroom in the yard; their colors, and intricacies of their structures, are amazing!

4. Jeff Gillman says:

Good point on the birds nest fungi — BUT — It also helps control artillery fungi which you might not like as much.

5. Michelle says:

I, too, would like to know why I would want to kill bird’s nest fungus. Thanks, and also thanks for identifying my mystery fungus!

6. I pet my African Violets frequently – mostly to remove the accumulated cat hair. Will keep in mind not to do so after lotioning up.

7. Elizabeth Stump says:

Don’t let the PETA folk know about the bulb study. Last thing you need also is animal rights activists attacking… plant researchers.

Interesting study using mushroom compost to suppress other fungi. Hmmm, first hypothesis that comes to mind (without reading the study yet) is that the compost, already inoculated with almost an anti-body like dose of mushroom fungi, prohibits growth, much like a vaccination of dead or weakened viruses/diseases can immunize you from a disease. I will have to read to see if this thought bears any likeness to the results of the study.