It's the Plants, Darling

Making my (separate) peace with poinsettias

314851055_9cf66ac288_o

December 12 is National Poinsettia Day. I wasn’t sure if
Susan would want to celebrate it then or not (she posts that day), so I’m
jumping the gun a bit. There’s a cute post about these ubiquitous seasonal
plants on Neatorama
Go ahead and read it, but here are my favorite facts (all
readily available everywhere on the net and in any plant encyclopedia).

The common name for euphorbia pulcherrima comes from Joel
Roberts Poinsett, the first U.S. minister to Mexico, who brought them to the
U.S. in 1828.

* Apparently, they became associated with Christmas when they
started growing miraculously from some weeds gathered by a devout peasant girl
in the 16th century

* Johnny Carson may be partially responsible for their popularity;
they were marketed on his show and Bob Hope’s during the 60s. That makes sense;
they have a flamboyant, blowsy look that would have appealed back then.  The Ecke family, who bred them to their popular compact form, had a monopoly on
these until the 1990s, and still control 50% of the market

Actually, there are circumstances under which I actually
like poinsettias. Botanical gardens throughout the U.S. like to use them in
displays like the clever one from the
Birmingham Botanical Gardens shown at
top (the image came from flickr, not the gardens). I’ve also seen large poinsettia standards that were nice. Red and pink
doubles and the lemon-lime varieties are also attractive. Sadly, for me, these plants
have become so tainted by their universal use and all the horrible glittery, day-glow
varieties at nurseries now, I can’t use them

Securedownload
Here are three of my favorite alternatives to poinsettias for holiday décor. Cyclamens can be kept inside as reliable flowering houseplants (much easier than poinsettias), while the helleborus niger can be planted out in spring. I might even be able to keep the euphorbia Diamond Frost going long enough to use it as a container plant in late spring. Or not.

Poinsettia "tree" Image courtesy of southern pixel

Posted by on December 8, 2009 at 4:55 am, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

11 Responses to “Making my (separate) peace with poinsettias”

1. Cheryl says:

I prefer cyclamen as well! Thanks for the hyperlink and info.

2. Nancy from Brooklyn says:

When I was in Ecuador several years ago, I was astonished to see what appeared to be a poinsettia ‘tree’ growing in a park in the city of Ambato. Wow!

And, I’d like to recommend a beautiful children’s book called “The Legend of the Poinsettia” by Tomie dePaola. Absolutely lovely.

3. Tibs says:

My husband’s grandma had her poinsettas for years and they bloomed profusely. Never could pry out of her just exactly what she did. Probably was the dish water. No water was ever wasted, all dish water went on the houseplants or flower beds.

Don’t forget the Christmas Cactus. I have 2 lovely ones that were my grandmother’s. They are at least 40 years old. Some years they are loaded with blooms, some years not. Depends on what window they are in and what their summer on the front porch was like. And if any of the felines played havoc with the buds.

4. Laura Bell says:

I’ll second the Christmas Cactus (zygocactus) as a great holiday symbol/plant. I started as a new homeowner with a few measly post-holiday sale plants. These days I have literally dozens, indoors & out, typically blooming from Halloween thru February. The white is my favorite because it blooms so profusely, even boisterously the way it spills over the pot, yet it seems so peaceful.

5. I’m not above a little plant snobbery myself, but I like poinsettias. I have a delightfully garish red one sitting in a silver pot right now, in fact.

On the other hand, cyclamen just look weird to me – like a tarted up African violets or something. If they weren’t one of the few reliable winter bloomers, I think they’d fade away into obscurity.

6. Rosella says:

We once had a little house in the tea plantations in the mountains outside Jakarta, Indonesia, and there we had an 8-foot hedge of poinsettia. It was beautiful and I liked it there, but I really don’t care for them as indoor plants. I prefer cyclamen.

Elizabeth, I am interested to see you use h. niger as an indoor plant — I bought h. niger “Jacob” the other day, and it’s in full bloom. So far it’s sitting in a big pot on the front doorstep but I was planning to plant it in the garden as soon as I can get out there — maybe tomorrow–but if I could bring it in to enjoy it inside, that would make me very happy! Will I kill it? What would it need for an indoor life, at least till plantingout time in the spring?

7. Maybe you’d like a poinsettia tree made of Christmas lights better – seems more fitting somehow than live plants to me. The Bellevue Botanical Garden has added a poinsettia tree to their Garden D’Lights display this year…check out the photo at http://www.valeaston.com/holiday-displays/
    Val Easton

8. Chris Upton says:

Poinsettias are funny aren’t they? They’re clearly gaudy and garish, don’t have any obvious relation to a solstice holiday Christian or otherwise, but still they seem…necessary?

I’m having issues with “my” nursery giving up growing them. http://1003gardens.blogspot.com/2009/12/poinsettia-growing-house-at-behnke.html

9. commonweeder says:

I prefer cyclamens myself. For those who are thinking beyond Christmas I am having a Giveaway – Right Rose Right Place by Peter Schneider and 2 dozen CowPots for seedstarting. Come visit and leave a comment for the drawing on Dec. 12.

10. commonweeder says:

I clicked too fast and need to correct my blog address which is now plain old http://www.commonweeder.com
    Again visit and comment.

11. grasshopper says:

The poinsettia featured here is the ‘Early Prestige Red’ (Euphorbia pulcherrima) Poinsettia. I think i like this one.

For those who do not know why poinsettias are related to Christmas check this out. just a simple piece of info.

The fable of the Christmas poinsettia