Eat This

I Must Have This.

Riesetomate1I love a weird tomato, and this 'Reisetomate' from Baker Creek is as weird as it gets.  I'll let them tell it:

"The most novel tomato we have seen, this tomato is like a big
bunch of cherry tomatoes all fused together: an amazing trait
that had everyone here asking questions about the alien-looking,
bumpy tomatoes. Also called “Traveler tomato” (“reise” is
German for “travel” or “journey”) for the ability to tear it apart
a piece at a time, with no need for a knife. This type of tomato
traces its roots to Central America where the native people
would carry traveler tomatoes on trips, to eat as they walked.
Bright red tomatoes taste–well, rather sour, strong and acid.
The perfect tomato for those who love raw lemons, but who
cares? They are still far-out and groovy."

By the way, I see they've opened a "seed bank" in an old bank building in Petaluma, CA. I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.  Has anyone been?

Posted by on December 30, 2009 at 6:05 am, in the category Eat This.

14 responses to “I Must Have This.”

1. I want that, too, and now my tomato patch will not be complete without it.

2. Claire Splan says:

I just made the trip to the Petaluma store a couple days ago and posted about it here: http://tiny.cc/IuUGf. Definitely worth the trip!

3. Wow that is unique and interesting, although it doesn’t sound very tasty.

4. Town Mouse says:

That’s all very well, except for the typo in the name.

Riesetomate (as in your first sentence) means “giant tomato”, though one could argue it should be Riesentomate.

Reisetomate would mean Travel Tomato.

You pick. I probably wouldn’t want to take it on a trip myself, too squishy…

5. Actually, I find myself rather unsettled by that tomato…

6. That tomato looks like something that Bart Simpson would bring home from the school yard garden and Marge would serve it with the one eyed nuclear infused fish.
    Not for me, thanks anyways.

The Seed Bank in Petaluma is in the heart of commercial wholesale landscape nursery land so I drive past it at least once a week.
    Haven’t stopped in due to lack of available parking.

Note to out of town visitors : there is a public parking lot ( east ) two blocks away. Otherwise it’s nearly impossible to find parking on the street side of the Seed Bank building.

7. Chiot's Run says:

I love Baker Creek, I try to order all of my seeds from places like them specializing in heirlooms. I grew a few tomatoes this past year that were quite ribbed and oddly shaped, they’re so much fun. One of them ended up being beautifully heart shaped: http://chiotsrun.com/2009/09/10/i-heart-tomatoes/

8. Ann Atkinson says:

Went to Baker Seed a few weeks ago: Take a very warm coat (if it’s in cold weather). I’m not a cold weather wimp, but, criminy, we left because we got too cold to think. Granted, it was during some very cold weather for us. I’ve ordered from Baker Creek in the past, so was excited to have them fairly nearby. Great inventory there and a nice book collection. Though I love the look of the vintage seed packets, I’d like to see better plant info on them, including photos. They do hang their catalogs all over the seed racks for reference. Parking: We just went clockwise around the block and parked close enough there(the street 1 block west of store). FYI – We had a great Mexican lunch at the MexCafe just west of Baker. Have the Mex Hot Chocolate!

9. sonrie says:

I live in st. louis and have been contemplating making a trip to their MO store…though I think it is several hours away…gotta love the catalogue!

10. Plantanista says:

I’m with Susan T, it actually reminds me of how I felt when I was on fertility drugs. A tomato with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Makes me want to feed it some green tea and give it a heating pad.

11. Anneliese says:

I was out in California back in early July for an event in Marin County. My brother and I decided to take a day to visit garden centers in the area, so we got in the car and started driving around without a real plan. By the time we hit Petaluma, it was lunch time, so we headed downtown to find a place to eat. By our sheer dumb luck, we happened to drive right by the Seed Bank (which had only been open three weeks at that point). It was quite the thrill to walk in the door and find our tools for sale right there on the shelf. Made our day, actually. The seed selection was fantastic (of course), and they also had a few cook books and some offerings from local artisans.

We also visited their Missouri store a few years ago, during their annual Spring Planting Festival. The rest of the “Bakersville” town hadn’t been built, yet, so I imagine it’s an even more fun place to visit now.

12. Michele Owens says:

God, I love Baker Creek for offering such weirdnesses.

13. I went to the new Baker Creek seed store in early October and was pretty impressed. Nice wide variety of fruits and veggies (some of the bins were empty as it was the end of the season for warm weather crops).

*LOTS* of room for the kids to run around. Spacious, so you are not bumping into others while checking out the seed racks, like most garden centers. They also sell cover crops and bulk seeds.

Their garden forums online are also great for comparing notes with other gardeners around the U.S. Great place to ask questions for the newbies or post pics if anyone else’s melons/tomatoes/peppers/carrots/etc are suffering from some unidentifiable pest/disease/problem. Great and supportive group.

14. megan says:

This is the tomato that I’m most excited about growing this year! It’s just too weird not to have in the garden.