GardenRant edition. The whole newsletter is right here.
Feel free to admire my new front-yard fence! It's natural cedar
and replaces a chain-link fence covered with English ivy (memories of
which are fading fast.) Here's the before and after, with a link to waaaay before.
Urban Gardening on the Web
- USDA reports that farmers' markets are up 13 percent over 2008! Here's the story.
- Excellent new resource: Growing School and Youth Gardens in NY City. [pdf]
- Prune now? Don't do it! yells Rodale. But they know what they're talking about.
- Also in pruning news, research explains how pruning encourages plants to thrive – in Science Daily.
- I interviewed the botanist inventor of FreezePruf - read about it here.
- What I'm really doing in my garden in October still applies in November (I'm in Zone 7).
- Ed Begley's Preferred Fencing? It's recycled plastic. I wonder what he'd say about cedar (see photo above).
- Turns out "smart
irrigation controllers" aren't so smart after all – they use up to 2.5
times the recommended amount of water, as reported in Nursery Management.