But is it Art?

Some of the best holiday lighting isn’t about the holidays at all

My favorite holiday-season light displays are the ones put on by our great public gardens. Longwood comes to mind, and Lewis Ginter in Virginia.  And here in Maryland it feels like magic in the Brookside Gardens' Garden of Lights with its 940,000 (mostly LED) lights and tons of imagination.  It celebrates the garden, not Christmas, so is welcoming to people of all religions (or none).

IMG_7065

IMG_7080

To all our American readers, Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by on November 26, 2009 at 4:29 am, in the category But is it Art?.

10 Responses to “Some of the best holiday lighting isn’t about the holidays at all”

1. Old Kim says:

The brightest light was the star of Bethlaham. Jesus was a pauper in the spotlight.

2. greg draiss says:

HUM BUG!!!!!

The TROLL

3. Katie says:

It is actually Longwood Gardens, not longworth.

I went to school there.

Thankfully, my neighborhood decorates for Christmas every year like it is the end of the world if they don’t. All I do is put out the lighted pink flamingos and call it a day.

4. susan harris says:

Thanks for the correction, Katie. Longworth is the name of a big House of Reps office building here in DC. One of those mental switcheroos. S

5. To each his own.

This is so freakin’ ugly!
    It’s all hideous! A spotlight on the gazebo, tastefully decorated with natural roping would have looked lovely.

And, these are Christmas, not holiday, lights – - call then what they are. I’m a former Catholic!

6. Tina H says:

I love the Christmas dragon! Oh, wait.

7. Katie says:

@Susan no biggie! My head still isn’t on straight from yesterday. . .

PS, I like lights. Just don’t like putting them up.

8. Kristen says:

You should also check out the Garden of d’Lights in Bellevue Washington. Theirs is the best I’ve seen of gardens created with lights: http://www.bellevuebotanical.org/events/fmevents_gardendlights.htm

9. Eric says:

Again, to each his own. Personally, I find these light up displays wasteful of electricity and aesthetically cringe-inducing, but some people love ‘em, and god love ‘em for that. If we all liked the same things the world would get really boring.

10. Cheryl says:

No, not art…sparkle or glitter. That’s my vote.