Who's Ranting About Us

Horticulture Mag Reads Blogs

And managing editor Patty Craft lists 20 of them as top blogs in this month’s issue. I was happy to see most of my own favorites among them but quite a few that are new to me.  (So are these “top” or Patty’s own discoveries?  I think the list is a nice mix.)

Among the discoveries, A Chef in the Garden, Caribbean Garden, and the intriguingly named Sin City to Slaterville

And Dirt Therapy is one I need to investigate a bit because Patty describes the blogger as a “Northwest Alabama no-mow fan,” yet prominently displayed on the blog is this: “Trust TruGreen [with link] for your lawn care needs.”  The very same TruGreen that used to be called ChemLawn – and from what I hear from their customers, hasn’t changed a bit.  So what gives?

More Blogs, Please
So what do you think of the list, what blogs would you add to it, and do you think the descriptions fit?  (“Edgy, entertaining and informative” is exactly what GardenRant is intended to be so thanks, Patty!)

Posted by on November 21, 2009 at 5:07 am, in the category Who's Ranting About Us.

18 Responses to “Horticulture Mag Reads Blogs”

1. The hard part about these lists is that there is no way to honor all the great blogs out there. For example, Pam Penick’s Digging. She’s one of the original bloggers I read when I first started thinking about RDR. There are so many others, but I was glad to see Garden Rant on there (like it wouldn’t be). You all changed the gardening conversation with this blog, and I’m not sucking up.~~Dee

2. susan harris says:

Dee, you’ve make my day. So glad you’re part of the gardenblogging community. S

3. No offense meant, but who reads ‘Horticulture’ anymore ?
    The blogs are far more interesting. Many have exceptional photography and the writing is on par and or far superior to the ramblings in the pages of the dead wood publishers.

I enjoy the musings and photography of Pam at ‘Digging’ , Rochelle Greayer’s blog, ‘Studio G’ for its up to date landscape design coverage.
    Delphines international perspective is very engaging, she blogs at ‘Paradise Express’ and introduces us to an international world of gardening , art, sculpture and landscape design.

There are many others that inspire, entertain and introduce meaningful dialogue, including Garden Rant.

4. Carolyn Wylie says:

A lot of us old fogies read Horticulture, and other print magazines, and books, and newspapers. Some of us read blogs too. Adding “no offense meant” before you insult someone doesn’t make it less insulting.

5. how it grows says:

Um…I read Horticulture. Magazines like Horticulture have helpful people called editors, who can sort through huge amounts of material to give you actual information. I find many garden blogs contain too many personal anecdotes, bad photography and not a lot of helpful gardening advice. Two blogs from here in Virginia that I like are http://atidewatergardener.blogspot.com/ and http://thequeenofseaford.blogspot.com/.

6. Jennifer Berndt says:

This woman — and blog — are the BEST! she was just on the cover of the “food issue” of a Portland magazine, and last week wrote a blog post that got her meetings with the city.. and potentially the mayor!

7. My latest favorite is The Scientist Gardener http://thescientistgardener.blogspotHis posts consistently make me go, “Wow! I never knew that” and want to forward a link to them to someone I know.

8. Sorry, the URL for the scientist gardener got all messed up when I posted it the first time.
    Correct link is:

9. Foy says:

So I am a bit of a foodie gardener and these are my foodie/garden blogs:

spaininiowa.blogspot.com

anaustinhomestead.blogspot.com

10. I am on that list so this is without a doubt the most astute random list the world has ever seen. And I am in such stellar company on this list it is nearly breath taking.

At 80 and 82 the resident gardeners life time passion created the garden my blog mostly is witness to. They are well deserving of the description North Carolina gardening at its finest. I am lucky enough just to get the bulb overflow as Bulbarella continues to climb the ridge top garden adding to the 10,000 daffodils and millions of minor bulbs that make up the early spring display.

This year the 80 year old resident gardeners planted another dozen or more one gallon rhododendrons to add to the late spring show. It takes a lot off faith to plant such small slow growing shrubs. This garden just may be keeping them alive longer as well.

Now I suppose this would qualify as a garden related personal anecdote. Some of us just are not into blogging the how to, informational aspect of gardening. It’s boring and there is no shortage of it online or in the printed media.

11. Janet says:

After seeing a number of visits coming to my blog from Garden Rant I had to come and see what was going on…. how nice of my blogging buddy to mention my blog. In turn I must say his is also a wonderful site. If native plants are of interest to you, his is the place to visit. http://www.howitgrows.com/

12. By the by, I read Horticulture, Organic Gardening, Fine Gardening, the American Gardener, English Gardening and BBC’s Gardens Illustrated (I am an Anglophile gardener after all). In fact, I subscribe to all these. I love print and online media and feel there is a place for both. Why not? Of course, my children think I’m a bit obsessed.~~Dee

13. Jean says:

Well, a list can never really be comprehensive. I’m with Christopher in that I shockingly (and humbly) found myself on that list and yet I do very little how-to. And as Dee said (who’s also on the list, deservedly), folks like Pam at Digging, a blog I just love and which does have a lot of how-to or intro’s to new plants, is not. I guess a list of all the good garden blogs out there would probably be VERY long.

Regarding the magazine Horticulture, it was the first garden magazine I subscribed to, many decades ago. I still subscribe to it and many others but I’ve been told that my generation is probably the last one to stay with print media. All I can say is thank goodness I’ve discovered the world of blogging. If garden mags disappeared I’d be completely lost.

14. Some disclosure here,
    I read books and magazines, especially Garden Design, Garden’s Illustrated, Fine Gardening and Alfresco from New Zealand.
    But not Horticulture. It is a bore. It lost me 20 years ago with its poor quality stock, bad bad graphics, crappy layout and less than inspiring and non-innovative content.
    How much ‘How To’ articles can you cram into one issue without some other diversity of coverage ?
    There is more to horticulture than simply propagation and some antidotal history.
    Horticulture magazine lost it’s appeal because it didn’t stay current. It didn’t inspire and it surely missed the boat on keeping up with new international plant introductions.
    How many articles on boxwood do you need when there are fantastic horticultural finds happening all around the world.
    Yet what do you see between the pages of Horticulture, yet another article about … boxwoods.
    Boring, unexciting, not inspiring for the modestly experienced gardener, and not diverse.

15. Barbara says:

Congrats, Susan!

I love printed media – the paper, the smell, the feel and I indulge in lots of magazines, Horticulture included, but for discovering new perspectives or different worlds altogether, nothing beats blogs.

Not to mention the blogs and comments that make me think about what I might be doing better. I’m thinking about Carolyn’s comment about blogs including more helpful gardening advice.

Now, I have my day’s work cut out for me just exploring the blogs mentioned in these comments!

Thanks for all of it. B

16. commonweeder says:

It’s going to take a while to look at all those recommended blogs – but what a pleasant while it will be1

17. Frank Hyman says:

The people who believe we are the last generation to value print, are like the folks in 2006 who thought the value of houses could only go up.

And I have to wonder if the people dissing “how-to” stories weren’t inhaling them as fast as possible 20 years ago when they were novices.

Lastly, to those who mistakenly think Horticulture magazine isn’t covering innovative topics; as someone who writes for Horticulture, you might want to check out my recent story about shrinking our lawn down to a Lawnlet. And look for my stories in 2010 on putting a green roof on a doghouse, my “3 Sisters” style garden of raspberries, asparagus and alpine strawberries or my detailed piece on my experiences in planting deer-resistant gardens that began by tasting hosta leaves to find out what all the excitement was about (and wherein I reveal my scientifically-based theory on why, in fact, deer may be eating our most expensive plants first).

Now excuse me while I put my feet up and enjoy a mug of coffee in one hand with a garden magazine in the other.

18. As new gardeners are created, there’s still a market for how-to. I think the more diversity among media the better for all. I actually think Horticulture has improved lately, that Lawnlet article being one of the reasons. It’s Garden Design Magazine I’m not so sure about; too much design not enough garden. I know it’s meant to be cutting edge, but lately it’s lost the thread.
    Meanwhile since I do link to Garden Rant, I’ll put in a shameless plug for my new blog…http://www.thegardenbuzz.com