Bloom Day

For Bloom Day, Nothing Beats the Knockout

IMG_7036

They're not the top-selling plant in the U.S. for nothing – still blooming strong on November 15 and displaying perfect, disease-free foliage.  The top photo shows a nice mass of reds in my neighborhood, and here's one lone pink Knockout in my front garden.IMG_7041

And below, going rogue on the official meaning of "blooming," I'm showing off a neighbor's maple that easily rivals any blooms for sheer impact.  Or, as they're constantly saying on HGTV, pop.

IMG_7042

Posted by on November 15, 2009 at 5:22 am, in the category Bloom Day.

11 Responses to “For Bloom Day, Nothing Beats the Knockout”

1. Greg Draiss says:

Knockouts perform so muc better than the well marketed but failure to perform carpet rose…

2. Fiona says:

I’ll take a beautiful foliage display over flowers any day. I love flowers, but there’s something about the transformation in a turning leaf…

3. Rosella says:

My husband and I have agreed that we think the fall foliage colours this year are more beautiful than usual here in zone 7. The crepe myrtles and ginkgos in particular have been flamboyant. The Japanese maples are just now turning into subtle blends of scarlet, orange, plum, and yellow, for the grand finale of a wonderful show. Why drive to the mountains (with everyone in the metro area) when there is such an exhibition right on our streets?

4. cathy says:

The original Knockout is okay. The pink and doubles are so-so. The Rainbow Knockout is a horrible disease magnet. None of them are reliably winter hardy in zone 4. We will probably continue selling the original KO at our nursery for awhile, but we’re dropping the others.

“Homerun” is actually a better performer than Knockout and has better cold hardiness in zone 4.

5. Katie says:

Gotta love the KNockout! Mine bloom from March-December!

6. Rosella says:

Actually, I DON”T love the Knockout. I am somewhat amazed that it is accepted among people who despise (among other things) impatiens. Yes, (like impatiens) it blooms for a long time. Yes, it is disease-resistant, and yes, it makes a formidable hedge. But as roses go, it is insignificant in colour, scent and shape. Isn’t it rather the impatiens of the rose world?

7. jaye says:

I can’t love a rose with no scent! It’s a major pet peeve of mine.

8. MiSchelle says:

HGTV pops! Ugh! Can’t stand any more of it.

Knockout roses have their place, I guess, but I agree – a rose with no scent won’t make the cut in my yard.

9. andrea says:

i too have knock out roses – the standard pink (here when we moved in) and the new yellow ‘Sunny Knock Out.’ i know they’re considered the “landscapers” roses, but they are good for those who want a low maintenance rose option. i’ve also found that they DO have a slight fragrance when warmed by the sun, especially the yellow ones (see my nov gbbd post for an image).

10. commonweeder says:

Even the New York botanic Garden loves Knockout roses. Me too. But mine are all gone, though they did bloom through October.

11. They are the easiest roses to grow, and if you are wanting low maintenance, long blooming plants they are great. I own more than one of each, and they hold the garden together throughout the long summer. They just aren’t that cool in a vase unless arranged with some other bloomers too. One more thing, they’re sustainable. They need no pesticides and no extra feeding.~~Dee