Real Gardens

Where Tony Avent Lives

IMG_6524

IMG_6531 IMG_6543
Tony's the mad genius behind Plant Delights.

Posted by on October 11, 2009 at 5:52 am, in the category Real Gardens.

10 Responses to “Where Tony Avent Lives”

1. The morning fog that day sure makes things seem so dreamy. Perfect.

2. greg draiss says:

incredible………
    a genius indeed

3. Katie says:

I have never been so hot and sweaty in my life. But, it was great to see the garden in Fall.

4. Randy says:

Susan,

I have been to his sales a few times about 10 years ago. Always spending about a $100 or more each visit. Today I have only three plants living form my purchases a Chinese Butterfly Bush and two huge lespedesas that bloom like crazy one pink the other white. Loved his gardens his Chinese Butterfly Bush had trunks the size of my arms, mine after ten years are about 1 1/2 inches. Enjoyed this posting.

5. Great use of containers! I love the layout and then adding the containers on the outside only gives it that little bit extra!

6. would love to see more !
    indulge us please.

7. Jenn says:

Holy cow!

Can I request more data on that waterfall? Is that whole structure a man-made folly, or is that the terrain where he lives?

Utterly impressive, either way.

8. susan harris says:

That IS a waterfall and it’s utterly manmade, as far as I could tell – the terrain is flat.

9. John says:

I live down the street, around the corner from PDN. I used to work there on weekends. The amazing thing is how young the gardens are, the front section I think was planted in the late 80′s thru mid 90′s, the photos above are from the new section and I don’t think they are even 10 years old.

The entire neighborhood was flat sandy tobacco fields. Tony started out mounding soil and building creekbeds by hand when they moved to the site.

The agave’s are the big surprise to me. In the dead of winter they can appear to be in trouble but once it starts to warm up in the spring they recover. No one thinks of growing that group of plants in the southeast.