Uncategorized

Sustainable Gardening News October ’09

Articles2
Rant version. The whole newsletter is right here.

In Your Garden Now

• Here's "What to do with your Leaves", including a plug for leafmold, and Lee Reich loves leafmold, too.
  • And October really is the best time to plant trees, shrubs and (most) perennials here in Zone 7.

On the Sustainable Gardening Blog

In My Garden

• Ew, that's ugly!  But
    the chain-link fence around my front yard is GONE at last, and the
    English ivy hiding it, too.  Sorry I can't show you the new fence yet,
    but even this is almost too much excitement for me.  Not kidding.
  • In
    plant news, I brought back some yummy freebies from the garden writers
    "swagathon": 'Blue Chip' Buddleias, 'Kaleidescope' Abelias, ajugas (no
    label), dwarf crapemyrtles 'Berry Dazzle' and 'Sweetheart Dazzle', and
    some 'Heavenly Scent' gardenias.  Plus Cowpots and a big bottle of
    Liquid Fence for my new deer problem (about which I'm trying not to
    whine too much.)

Posted by on October 10, 2009 at 5:38 am, in the category Uncategorized.

5 responses to “Sustainable Gardening News October ’09”

1. donna says:

I’m looking at fencing options for my front yard now, so would love to have ideas on that…

2. Ray says:

My brother told me about Blue Chip buddleias in May. I planted two in June. I have enjoyed them and I am sure you will. They are performing as advertised: ceaseless blooming without deadheading; compact full bushy shape about 2 ft x 2 ft and vivid purple color. They are still blooming like it is summer.

3. Sysiphus's Gardner says:

I got my Plantdelights newsletter that indicated their Blue chips were infested with some nematodes from the grower. Below is the link to verify the status of your plants if you wish.

they had this link as well.

I hope you are not affected. Just a friendly note.

4. Tara Dillard says:

Please someone take the chain link. I live too far to grab it for a client. Are you using it somewhere else?

It’s perfect for attaching tool bouquets to brick, wood etc…..

The posts are great in a vegetable garden with brown twine and pole beans.

Congrats on the work!! Have taken pics of my debris piles for years. Anyone else??

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

5. Old Kim says:

It looked short and dumpy in the photos but someone said it was cool and after getting tested it’s not very good. Blue Chips butterfly bush is a Proven Winer scam.