But is it Art?

Fordhook Farm has sculpture, too

Another photo array two Sundays in a row?  Let’s call it a GardenRant tradition!  This bunch is from my visit last May to the home of W. Atlee Burpee and his family for 100+ years – the Fordhook Farm in Doylestown, PA. For more,  here’s their photo set on Flickr (more garden photos, please!)IMG_5218 IMG_5216 IMG_5225 IMG_5260

Eerily lifelike sculpture of writer-photographer Graham Rice at work.

Posted by on October 25, 2009 at 4:36 am, in the category But is it Art?.

12 Responses to “Fordhook Farm has sculpture, too”

1. greg draiss says:

Hideous heaps of nothing in my opinion
    The TROLL

2. ken druse says:

I am surprised to see sculpture at Fordhook Farm — and thrilled. Is this a trend?
    What is that aqua one that looks like a giant pot-scrubber?
    Tell us.
    I was just writing about the sculpture show at Tower Hill in Boylston, MA, in my newsletter.

3. rosey pollen says:

Those white “things” are reminiscent of aliens, all very interesting.
    Rosey

4. I love seeing sculpture in gardens. All three pieces shown here are wonderful. The sculpture in the middle photo brings to mind coneflower or rudbeckia, and the bottom conjures grass on a windy day. The piece on top is similar to the work of an artist I am visiting today, (I write a weekly post on my blog called ‘Art Inspired by Nature’, and it’s been fun meeting other artists – I am a painter – and seeing their work)
    Thank you for sharing this work Susan. And you know, I am really curious to see the artistic creations of the commenter at the top. His work must be amazing! Maybe he will share it ;)?
    -Michaela

5. Awesome! These sculptures area so unexpected in that pastoral setting; I love the contrast it creates! Michaela, I was thinking that middle one looked like a bunch of silver pony foot all rolled up! Exact color.

6. My favorite is the third one shown, the spiky rusty metal number. It could be an over sized version of the bonsai dishes filled with green grass.

Now one would think the sight of all that green lawn would calm THE TROLL. To bad. TROLL do you ever wake up in a pleasant mood or one that shows respect to other people’s thoughts and endeavours?

7. I’d welcome any of them in my garden. Though the eerily lifelike sculpture might wince at the “site”.

8. how it grows says:

The first one looks like a rugby scrum.

9. Viva la art !
    For many people the imagery of art provokes the conscience and sub conscience into a emotional layering of feelings that connects us humans to a memory, a feeling, or a thought that brings us back to somewhere or propels us forward into a place within our mind and piques the creative process within.
    To see art is to be excited. To make art is even more exhilarating.
    To many people art is intrinsic to their being, like breathing, eating and sleeping.
    To others it is a delightful, inspirational divergence that wanders in and out of their daily lives and is cheerfully acknowledged , pleasurably remembered and may inspire someone to create a artfully culinary treat for their family, or to combine a few plants in an exciting color combination or to simply add a splash of color to their clothing ensemble by adding a scarf, a hat or a broach.
    To others who live a narrow life, the zest and zeal of art doesn’t inspire, it doesn’t resonate or speak the language of open mindedness.

Some may see a sculptural assemblage and see a giant blue sea urchin or a huge kitchen sink scrubby. Others might be transported by the image but may experience an emotion such as swimming along the ocean floor being brushed up against by strange ocean sea life.

But to see hideous heaps of nothing is just pathetically sad.

10. Pam J. says:

I’m not wild about the “rugby scrum”–although maybe in a different color I’d like it–but the brillo pad chair in the middle and the “spiky rusty metal number” are great.

11. Jo Ann says:

I love it… reminds me of this artist..

Richard Reames

12. Beautiful works of art, especially the life-like sculpture who magically brings us beautiful words and imagery. Win-win! :-)