Gardening on the Planet

Blog Action Day takes on Climate Change

Today's the day that thousands of bloggers around the world are writing about climate change, then finding Bad-300-250 the links to their posts listed on the BAD website

But here at Garden Rant we've been all over this topic for years, so we'll take this opportunity to put the posts in a nice list for your perusal.

Posted by on October 15, 2009 at 3:44 am, in the category Gardening on the Planet.

16 Responses to “Blog Action Day takes on Climate Change”

1. greg draiss says:

Coldest winter in years (08-09).

Cold Sumer, Cold Sept, cold Oct and snow in New York today….
    This is not warming and this not global

The TROLL

2. susan harris says:

Greg, big day for you and the other deniers, with over 8,000 posts to cover!

3. Canada Guy says:

Here’s my post for Blog Action Day:

Everyone else go make one too!

4. Klem says:

Susan

Only 8000? No problem!

5. TROLL here is a link for you from my BAD09-Climate Change post. The 2009 report on Global Climate Change Impacts on the United States from the NCDC based in Asheville NC. It is science which has a liberal bias I know, but you just might want to know the facts you need to deny.

6. Canada Guy – great post and great blog template. :-)

My post on this topic is more focused on gardening and how it impacts (and is impacted by) climate change: http://2greenacres.blogspot.com/2009/10/climate-change-and-home-garden.html

I can’t wait to read some of the other posts on this incredibly important topic.

7. gardenmentor says:

I couldn’t stop thinking about water, so that became my subject for today’s Blog Action Climate Change post on Gardenhelp:

Read more here: http://www.gardenhelp.org/blog-action-day/blog-action-day-2009-focusing-on-climate-change/

8. Teresa O says:

I wrote an overview of the impact climate change has on Ohio gardeners. There’s alot of doubt and apathy in the area where I live and I’m hoping by keeping it simple I’ll convert one or two. I’m wondering if it will take the demise of the buckeye tree for Ohioans to wake up and feel heat.

9. Archie says:

I’m all for not polluting and using resources wisely, however, stable temperatures and rainfall are not the norm. Climate changes, it always has and always will. Some places get hotter, some get colder, some get more rainfall, some less…it’s a natural cycle.

BTW, it’s interesting how it’s been changed from “global warming” to “climate change” since that wasn’t seeming to pan out. I’m just sayin’.

10. Bryn says:

@ Archie– “The term climate change is often used interchangeably with the term global warming, but according to the National Academy of Sciences, the phrase ‘climate change’ is growing in preferred use because it helps convey that there are other changes in addition to rising temperatures.” definition courtesy of the EPA. Also, I’m sure, in response to people like Greg above who say things like, “There ain’t no such thing as global warming! It was real cold here last night!” And yes, I’ve heard people say things like that and they were completely serious. “I’m just sayin’.”

Your question, “I’m just wondering when, in the Earth’s long history, the climate was not changing?” strikes me as a bit disingenuous. Not to be nitpicky, but what do you mean by, “not changing”? Do you mean it changes as in, “It rained yesterday, but it’s sunny today.” or “One minute the planet’s an oven, and a century or two later, there’s another ice age.” or what?

11. Well Archie in the earth’s long history human beings have only been around for a speck of time. It didn’t really matter if the climate changed and species went extinct or through hell as their environment changed around them. It matters now that we are here to feel the effects don’t ya think?

Since climate change is not a linear warming process in a fluid oceanic and atmospheric system, a more accurate desription is in order to describe the effects of the driving force of global warming. It is a complex thought I understand, but give it a whirl. You might be able to grasp the notion.

12. Foy says:

My little bit for Blog Action Day is a post about my experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Panama and the books I recommend for gaining perspective on world food issues affected by climate change. Please check it: http://foyupdate.blogspot.com/2009/10/reduce-climate-change-by-changing-your.html

13. My post for Blog Action Day is finally up at http://www.gardenontheedge.blogspot.com/.

Yes, Archie, the climate has always been changing. The difference now is the speed of the change and the fact that we’re influencing the rate of change (and that we’re going to feel the effects).

14. Katie says:

Tried to post a comment on Foy’s blog. It is very cool. (But, I’m biased because I love books and it is a book list) The books they mention are all fantastic, and I read many of them this summer. They all changed my perspective and gave me lots of info about how to change the way I EAT, which will have a big impact on my individual little environmental footprint.

15. “Like Garden Rant, global warming and climate change is a recurring topic on this blog …”

Trees for the Future, Blog Action Day 2009

16. Pam J. says:

Such an interesting subject, climate change. The more I read the less I know. My two cents is here: