Uncategorized

Easy to understand this name

Callicarpa (American Beautyberry) at the Duke Gardens, in the Blomquist native plant garden. And you can use your cell to get a detailed narrative.

Easy to understand this name

Posted by on September 24, 2009 at 1:33 pm, in the category Uncategorized.

9 responses to “Easy to understand this name”

1. Fiona says:

I admired these at Biltmore in NC last year, but had no plans to plant any.

Lo and behold, a summer of traveling (and leaving my garden with my father-in-law) allowed a couple of “weeds” to get really big. And one turned out to be…American Beautyberry. Happy times.

2. Kat says:

My friend’s mom gave me a beautyberry start three summers ago. This summer, it grew to be a whopping 8 inches tall. My husband wants to rip it out, but I keep telling him that it ain’t dead if it’s green and to keep his mitts off of it!
    Someday my little beautyberry will grow up big and strong like these, right?

3. sarahammocks says:

Yes, Kat! I have two, and would get more. The deer don’t touch em–a HUGE plus.

4. Jo Ann says:

Here in Florida you can find them growing wild all over,(American Beautyberry) as far as “natives” go (meaning Florida natives) I like “Stachystarpheta jamaicensis” aka Porterweed comes in purple, red, blue and coral butterflies and bees find it very attractive and the way it grows looks kinda cool.

5. LauraBee says:

A Flickr-photo close-up here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/astanse/2999690884/ – and a write-up of the Native American medical uses of the plant.

6. Sheila says:

I planted mine 2 years ago here in Minnesota, I have yet to see purple berries on my shrub! Although, this year I have some green berries, I’m hoping they turn purple soon!

7. Old Kim says:

Callicarpa grown from cuttings like Profusion are more erect and have clusters of berries at an early age.

8. Kim Taylor says:

I was also in NC for GWA and saw this plant, but I was even more enchanted with the white beautyberry at Duke Gardens and the pale pink beautyberry at Plant Delights Nursery.

White: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardeninginaminute/3963022961/