Uncategorized

Deer repellant that’s good enough to eat

From G.W.A

Deer repellant that's good enough to eat

Posted by on September 24, 2009 at 9:56 am, in the category Uncategorized.

9 responses to “Deer repellant that’s good enough to eat”

1. shira says:

uh….that’s weird.

In my experience the best deer repellants are the ones that stink! I guess they would technically be edible since they are made with raw eggs, hot sauce, veg oil, etc. gross!

2. Eliz says:

This one smelled like cinnamon, though I did not taste it. There are things even I won’t drink.

3. I guess tasting it and drinking it are two different things. But I guess that is one way to show that your product is “safe”…

4. Frank Hyman says:

I do a lot of garden programs on using plants that are deer resistant, and at all of them there is at least one person who highly recommends this lady’s product line–I Must Garden.

Her operation is near Durham NC and so a lot of people in our area use her stuff very successfully.

None of it is toxic–just garlic, eggs, hot peppers, etc., but it’s been very effective at keeping deer at bay. She also has products for moles, ants, etc. Just google up I Must Garden for details.

Oh and she’s a really nice person too.

5. It’s a floor wax *and* a dessert topping.

6. Genevieve says:

I’m sure she smells delightful after licking the garlic/ eggs mixture all day! That’s funny. Certainly a good illustration of it’s non-toxicity.

7. Plantanista (Maureen D) says:

She looks like she’s eating escargot for the first time.

8. Katie says:

I really actually like her stuff. We have a MAJOR mosquito problem in our yard, being in the south, near a tidal creek, with a drainage easement in our backyard.

All fun aside, if you need help with keeping away certain critters (even if you won’t admit it), this stuff beats the HECK out of all of the stinky stuff I’ve tried.

9. mark says:

That stuff sounds expensive!….and how often does one need to reapply? Most likely after every rain.

I came up with a kinetic sculpture/noise making contraption that managed to keep the deer out of our garden this past summer with un-natural noise. You can make one out of an old electric drill and some spare parts for about 20 bucks. I’ve got pictures, notes, and free plans at backyarddeer.com if your interested in exploring a solution that is a bit unconventional.