What's Happening

Rant on the Road: Chicago

I'm headed to Chicago this week for the Independent Garden Center show, which turns out to be a really fun way to drool over whatever products indie garden centers are going to be carrying next season, while rubbing elbows with a few other garden writers.  I'm giving a couple of talks, one on wildlife gardening and one on kitchen gardening, so stop by and say hello if you're around.

I'll also be at Anderson's Bookshop in Naperville on Thursday, August 20 at 7 pm. Looks like Wicked Plants' illustrator, Briony Morrow-Cribbs, will be joining me. Please do come out for a bit of botanical wickedness on Thursday evening, and bring some friends.

In other news, Wicked Plants hits #8 on the New York Times bestseller list next week.  It gets a mention in the "Inside the List" column as well–online this week and in print next week, and because it's categorized in their how-to, advice, and miscellaneous list, the Times takes it to heart:  "Finally, a how-to book that actually teaches something useful! Want to discourage lingering weekend guests? Try spiking the salad dressing with castor oil, a power­ful laxative."  And so on.  Folks, don't try this at home.

Oh, and one last thing:  the CBS Sunday Morning segment has popped up online:

Posted by on August 16, 2009 at 10:10 am, in the category What's Happening.

8 Responses to “Rant on the Road: Chicago”

1. Congratulations. Wish I could be there.

2. Plantanista (Maureen D) says:

Great segment on CBS Sunday Morning! Thanks for posting it. I love it when a newscaster seems to really “get it”. She obviously loved doing the segment and treated you and your subject beautifully. (At least that’s what came through in the segment.)

3. Old Kim says:

On the road it must be looking dissmal. Too much stuff that people don’t need. Who has the prettiest plant on the block?
    I thought I did but no one’s buying.

4. Layanee says:

Enjoyed that segment and happy to see that you and your book are getting all that attention. It is a fascinating topic, poison plants!

5. commonweeder says:

Hooray Amy. congratulations. Nice Sunday Morning report. I’m hoping to get my copy of the book back from my borrowing neighbor very soon.

6. John says:

Thanks for the link. TVs on the fritz so I missed it.

I’m sure that as you’ve made your way around the country people tell you all their poisonous plant stories, and here’s mine: not a human issue but a striking twist in toxins nonetheless. While in college on the great plains I was shocked to learn that certain species of locoweed (Astagalus) are poisonous to not only grazing animals but to honeybees!!! To think that a plant would develop a toxin against pollinators is fascinating – at least to me.

7. Amy that is an excellent segment on Sunday Morning. I’m going to purchase Wicked Plants–I love stuff like that too.

I’m digging in to the history of my family right now and it’s very interesting how totally dysfunctional we are and were. 3 of my cousins blew each other up cutting a gas line. Sooner or later I’ll find someone who ate something toxic I’m sure.

8. Amy! I so love this – you are a Garden Goddess and we all are your subjects. Excellent! :-)

Shawna Coronado