Eat This

Tour the White House Kitchen Garden with Sam Kass

Finally, we get a good look at the garden, and it's looking fine – for now.  But what about the rest of the year?  Tell us what you'd like to see added to the garden, or changed altogether.  My picks?  Seating, for sure, and something vertical.  A trellis or two and a good-looking fence.

For plant details, see this earlier post.  And btw, my friend who helped with the planting wonders what they'll do with all that fennel.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Posted by on June 6, 2009 at 5:13 am, in the category Eat This.

9 Responses to “Tour the White House Kitchen Garden with Sam Kass”

1. Kim says:

Thanks for posting this look – I’d missed it. They better make more room for those blackberries!

2. The butterflies will use what fennel they don’t eat!

3. Oooo, sea bass for dinner. Yummmmmm

4. wooly sunflower says:

Somebody missed a great opportunity to make an american flag outa those rows of lettuce! (not that I’m especially patriotic). Is the garden really that far from the house? In the video it looks like a very long walk back to the kitchen. And I agree about the blackberries. They need their own special plot with a trellis. And what’s up with the fig tree plopped right in the veggie beds? I guess if it was all alone, out in the lawn, someone would forget to water it.

5. Plantanista (Maureen D) says:

This makes me so happy!

Maybe they’re underplanting the new fig tree until it gets off to a good start?

This garden is already a success because it’s feeding a family and friends, it’s beautiful and inspiring, and it’s free of toxic chemicals.

They can, like we all do, work out the kinks as they go along.

Go White House Garden and Bancroft kids!

6. Katie says:

I definitely would like to add cooking to part of the garden promotion. So, that’s not really adding a particular plant, but adding another dimension to the whole garden project. I was quite taken with a NY Times editorial last Sunday about the cooking + gardening equation, and wrote my my own blog about it.

Don’t y’all agree that vegetable gardening and cooking are inextricably intertwined?

Here’s the post: http://goorganicgardening.com/fruits-and-vegetables/cooking-is-to-gardening

7. Another Susan says:

Love it, love it, love it. This makes me so happy.

8. Hi Susan,
    I would like to see the WH edible garden add:

I would build a simple structure like an “arbor entrance” that functions as a water catchment system, connect it to a rain barrel and funnel water out to garden beds.

Seating

Tall signs that double as garden art so you don’t have to stoop down and read it.

A small potting table with water so the veggies can be rinsed outside

The fennel can be used ornamentally as a “screen or fence” instead of letting it languish unused. It is gorgeous and has a billowy look.

Shirley Bovshow

9. suzq says:

I’ll be by for some fennel, if they have extra. I now saute it with onions anytime I’m cooking something Italian.