Bloom Day

Once I had a rose garden; now I just have roses

Roselily

This is by way of saying that roses are always in the
spotlight for the June GBBD, but it is interesting how my use of roses has
evolved. Well, it interests me. When we moved into our property, the previous
owner had left a walled-in rose garden of one hybrid tea (Double Delight), a
red climber and a bunch of white shrubs. Only the climber is left, as the
hybrid tea was a disgusting blackspot magnet and the shrubs would give out one
big bloom and then be decimated by midge. Back in those days, I was using the
full arsenal of sprays, which is what I had been told was necessary.

Roses2

All that stopped when I pulled out most of the roses,
replacing them with lilies and perennials. I was able to get rid of my ventilator.
But lately, roses have been sneaking back into the mix. I can’t resist the old
or old-style cultivars, like Louise Odier and Abraham Darby. And climbing
anything is totally necessary for my narrow space; it demands vertical growth.

Charlotte

Now I have roses mixed in with tall perennials. Their
ungainly shrub habit doesn’t bother me because you really can’t see it,
surrounded as it is. Nothing gets sprayed, and they perform quite well all
season, with a decent amount of rebloom. I’ve picked Charlotte right into
November (shown above; I try to avoid too many close-ups, but you have to with roses).

I’d prefer always to garden with roses, but if these
misbehave, they won’t leave much of a gap behind. And here’s my other GBBD
post

Posted by on June 15, 2009 at 7:54 am, in the category Bloom Day.

7 Responses to “Once I had a rose garden; now I just have roses”

1. jaz says:

i could have written this post. i planted tons of different kinds of roses all through my gardens years ago. i never sprayed them. this last year towards the end of winter i checked on them and they were downright ugly. i missed trimming them last year and they had grown into monsters. i have a lot of them in a roomed in part of my gardens. recently i walked down the path and opened the doors and literally
    caught my breath. all of them were at top bloom and were gorgeous. i think i will keep them. they have no idea how close they came death! you can see them in all their glory on my blog.

2. Pam/Digging says:

Great post, Elizabeth. I am never interested in rose gardens per se, even at fabulous botanical gardens. But mix roses in with other perennials, and I’m enthralled. That’s the way they should always be grown.

3. donna says:

I introduced a rose-garden only friend to the wonder of perennials and not spraying, when I told her that the holes in her passion vine were from butterfly caterpillars and made that connection for her between the plants and the critters. She ended up being a butterfly freak, and including butterfly plants in her garden which was beautiful with all the roses. Side benefit, of course, less spraying of things since all the good critters that ate aphids were attracted to her garden now.

Then again, she’s the only reason my garden has roses, since that was the one question she had when she saw my pretty yard — where were my roses. She insisted on buying me a couple, and now I have a lot of them, all organically grown.

So now we both have roses, and perennials, and butterflies Always something to learn from each other!

4. Leslie says:

I’m with you Elizabeth…the few roses I have are mixed in with perennials and are mostly climbers. Yours look quite lovely.

5. Tibs says:

The only thing I don’t like about the roses mixed in with the perennials is it is hazardous to weed. I have a no- name lovely little pink rose that spreads by runners (only rose to survive from the former owners rose garden,oh and Blaze, too) and weeding in that bed results in bleeding and hair catching.

6. I never tire of reading how people use roses in their landscapes. Roses can be beautiful, healthy plants. We just need to choose the right types for our gardens. I like that you have a few sneaking back. ‘Double Delight’ was one of the first roses I ever grew, but it is long gone. Too much trouble.~~Dee

7. olivia patel says:

Hi

My name is Olivia Patel. I’ve just visited your website and I was wondering if you’d be interested in
    exchanging links with my website. I can offer you a home page link back
    from my Recycling and Environment website which is http://www.recycling4live.com/ with page rank 3 .

If you are interested, please add the following information to your
    website here: http://www.gardenrant.com/my_weblog/2009/06/once-i-had-a-rose-garden-now-i-just-have-roses.html

(at the bottom of your post)

and kindly let me know when it’s ready. I’ll do the same for
    you in less than 24 hours, otherwise you can delete my link from your
    site.

Title: greenhouse environmental management
    URL: http://www.thegreenhouse.co.uk
    Description: the green house provides businesses with tailored waste management programs to minimise their waste output and costs

I hope you have a nice day and thank you for your time.

Please reply to: olivia.patel@recycling4live.com