Real Gardens

It’s Good To Be Rich

Photo
photo by Jeff Goodell

The view from a porch at Kykuit, the Rockefeller estate in Pocantico Hills, NY.

Posted by on June 24, 2009 at 11:07 am, in the category Real Gardens.

10 responses to “It’s Good To Be Rich”

1. I certainly would welcome the opportunity (to be rich)

2. Too twoo. But if I can’t be rich, let me be content.

3. donna says:

Too much lawn. ;^)

They should plant a veggie garden…

4. tom mickey says:

What I like about such scenes of wealth is that we get an insight into the history of the period. We show off our digital gadgets like Ipod, cell phones, Blackbarys, etc. as a way to say we are current and not old-fashioned but wealthy. The landscape scene did the same with the garden: it said “These home owners are wealthy.” We all need to feel a sense of belonging and status. Today we are more conscious of the harm we can do to the environment so something like a big showy lawn is downplayed. We find other things to show status like the newest fad in issues like sustainability. My thoughts…

5. Sharon says:

The best thing about that scene is the view. The gardens are too formal for my taste – like going into a pristine home where you’re afraid to sit down. It’s probably tended by full-time gardeners, though, so why not? Hell, I’d have lunch on their veranda if invited. Then I’d happily go home to my own small piece of heaven – weeds and all.

6. Dennygarden says:

Hay,this is very nice photo 😀
    Do u care about link exchange with this gardener?lol
    I love ur blog and i add yours on my Blogroll

7. This is less than an hour from NYC. If the Rockefellers weren’t rich and the property protected, the site would now be redeveloped into something else much less beautiful. So, I for one, will continue to visit the great and not so great properties where I am allowed access and rejoice that someone with money preserved it. You can do a lot worse things with your millions, billions and gazillions.

8. greg draiss says:

Hey!!
    Outta my yard!

The TROLL

9. Tibs says:

I love the formal look. I think it is a a control issue. I have no control over my kids, cats, spouse, job, economy, etc., but bygod I can keep my garden in line. That said, I do not have a formal garden. Formal lines, blowsy plantings.

10. Michele Owens says:

I love the look of this garden, too. To my eye, it’s a nice mix of super-formal and woodsy.

If I had a staff, my yard would look like this.

Thanks for the laugh, Greg.