Bloom Day

For Bloom Day, More Massing, and Squash!

June15-2-420
Continuing the theme of massing for impact, here's a variation. This time it's massing by plant type AND by bloom time.  At the center and left are two lacecap hydrangeas I'm at a loss to ID by exact name (moved too many times for my recordkeeping to keep up), grouped with a spirea 'AnSquashBloom400thony Waterer' and gobs of astilbes.  So for you plant nuts who can't bear to plant lots of any one thing, is this better?  (Here's another view, more close-up.)

Next, a vision that's certainly ho-hum to most of you – squash in bloom – but one that's seriously exciting to me, the newbie food-grower.   Does that mean I'm hooked on kitchen gardening?  Possibly, because I can tell you that I loved popping homegrown sugar snap peas into my mouth and baking pizzas topped with homegrown basil.  So it turns out that change is possible.

Posted by on June 15, 2009 at 4:26 am, in the category Bloom Day.

14 Responses to “For Bloom Day, More Massing, and Squash!”

1. sarahammocks says:

Now that’s more like it–beautiful! Same for your gorgeous squash blossoms!

2. And that’s a change we can believe in. :-)

3. commonweeder says:

You southern gardeners make massing look so easy!

4. Sharon says:

Love it! A bold and lusty display that is far from boring or ho-hum. Oooh, and putting a trellis on squash. Great idea.

5. I will quit getting excited about squash blooms when I die! (and tomato blossoms, cucumber blossoms, pepper blossoms, bean blossoms, pea blossoms…)

6. sarahammocks says:

reply to David in Kansas–me too!

7. rainymountain says:

Massing is for large gardens and my question is: it looks fine in the photo but how long does that last and what does it look like for the rest of the year?

8. Sharon says:

Rainymountain: Couldn’t we ask that about any patch of ground with something growing in it? For me, as long as some part of the garden looks good almost all the time, I just accept the fact that one month’s garden star may be next month’s ugly duckling. Just curious, how do you address the “seasonality” of the plants in your garden?

9. susan harris says:

Rainy, these all look great til about Christmas around here – Zone 7. By “great” I don’t mean as good as they look NOW, of course, but still nice til hard frost time.

10. Great choice for Bloom Day.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but what Mama called ‘Summer Spirea’ and various hydrangeas require only a bit of deadheading to look nice all summer here. I don’t do astilbe, but use other pink flowers.

11. donna says:

Yeah, that’s better. Looks more like my garden now…

12. Welcome to the addiction of growing your own food. I’m looking forward to squash blossoms any day now!

13. I find squash blossoms endlessly fascinating and utterly beautiful. Now if only it would get over 70 degrees here and my squash could start growing!

14. Of course you can change! You should see how our vegetable garden has gone from lawn surrounded beds to raised beds with flagstone pathways. It has made the vegetable garden a beautiful place as well. I have also started putting vegetables into my flower garden beds, just because they do have very beautiful flowers, like your squash does. We planted a few birdhouse gourds along the fence that goes along the street because they have beautiful flowers and will cover the fence with foliage. It’s all good.