Eat This

Food Documentaries on the Rise!

Opening this week is Food, Inc., which had help from such food activists as Michael Pollan, Eric Schlosser and Joel Salatin.  Animal-lovers may want to avoid the movie because it shows the horrors of industrial meat production, though I suppose the argument is that people who eat the animals should know what it took to turn them into dinner (and I agree).  At least the trailer won't give you nightmares.

There's a companion book of the same name, and here's an article from it by Joel Salatin, called "Taking down the corporate food system is simple."

Moving on, I saw Food Fight recently and can recommend it.  Ditto Fresh, which features Joel Salatin and Will Allen, among others. There's also Home Grown, about the Edible Estates family in Pasadena, CA.  And remember the terrific Super Size MeKing Corn has an original story line – two Eastern college kids trying to make it as corn farmers, and learning a lot about our food system.  Oh, and you can watch the full-length The Future of Food right here on Hulu.

Anybody know of others?

Posted by on June 20, 2009 at 5:05 am, in the category Eat This.

10 responses to “Food Documentaries on the Rise!”

1. sarahammocks says:

How about Our Daily Bread–
    it’s a German-Austrian documentary about industrial food production–very little dialogue, w/stunning images of dehumanizing farming practices. Get it from Netflix!

2. Holly says:

You know, I don’t know how I feel about this. I will have to look into it more.

The trailer alludes to the fact that because it is commercially processed it is not as good as home grown. But is that true?

this smacks a little too much to me of PETA and the like.

3. Holly says:

that didn’t come through completely

try this:

4. Tatiana says:

Yeah but to assume Monsanto (who’s spearheading the GMO push) has your best interests at heart is naive. I wouldn’t trust a single thing that company pushes. GMO may be a panacea for papaya’s but there has been ZERO long term effect studies done, and many risks. I don’t personally want to be a guinea pig do you? In the meantime they’re lobbying for legislation that doesn’t even require labeling of GMO food so that consumers can make their own decisions. All in the name of the almightly dollar.

5. Holly, I saw Food Inc and it will NOT make PETA happy in that it shows both industrial animal abuse AND also how a organic farmer humanely kills and preps chickens, hogs, etc. So you get to see both ways and they definitely don’t discourage meet eating in this flick.
    FYI they even make apples and lettuce look nasty to eat when being sorted and processed.

6. commonweeder says:

Susan, thanks for all these links. I guess we’ll never keep Monsanto from making GMOs but I think it is vital that we know when we are buying same.I do think it is outrageous that they are trying to make it legal for GMO foods to be unlabeled as such. I have to say I feel the same way about the new system that makes RNs, nurses aides and others all wear the same name labels in hospitals so you don’t quite know the level of training of the person you deal with most often.

7. Holly says:

Oh don’t think I *trust* the big corps. I agree we know what we need to eat, but I take this kind of documentary with a grain of salt too. As with most documentaries which are urging a point of view, they carefully pick what you see.

I’ve been to some small farms and wouldn’t want to eat what is processed there. I’ve dealt with some of the more rural areas and have turned down beverages/food due to the conditions I was standing in.

small does not always = clean/good

big does not always = bad/dirty

as I stated in my first post, I’ll have to look into it more.

8. Katie Schneider says:

Other food documentaries include The Real Dirt on Farmer John – about practically losing the family farm (to incompetence) and finding a solution in forming an organic CSA. The companion cookbook is a fabulous compilation of vegetable recipes, including the offbeat ones like celeriac and kohlrabi.

9. Tanya says:

Oh yeah! Our Daily Bread, The Real Dirt on Farmer John, Asparagus!, American Dream, End of the Line, and Fast Food Nation.

I don’t dare expand it to include water privatization.