Uncategorized

For Britney, Gardening beats Rehab

Britney

From a British tabloid:  "The songbird, who has a history of mental health
problems, has become devoted to a self-help programme called flower
therapy — based on horticulture.  She has also been closely studying books about the spiritual aspects of gardening while on tour in the United States."

And what books might they be?  The story continues, "And she’s so determined to stay on the road to recovery that she has
become a devotee of the self-help manual Chicken Soup For The
Gardener’s Soul — by American lifestyle guru Jack Canfield."

Okay, I'll stifle my cynicism and just ask:  Anybody read it?  Would it help get someone off drugs?

Here's the story.

Posted by on May 8, 2009 at 3:45 am, in the category Uncategorized.

16 responses to “For Britney, Gardening beats Rehab”

1. Layanee says:

Whatever works….

2. greg draiss says:

gag me with a spoon
    the TROLL

3. Michele Owens says:

It’s better than religion, we all know that.

4. suzq says:

We’ll see how she does once she begins gardening for real.

I dunno…weeds, heavy clay soil, the fountain pump that never works right, herbavorous deer…it’s enough to drive me to drink some days.

5. nrgkat says:

Most of those soup books are horrid. However I’ve read the hilarious parody “Chicken Poop for the Soul.” Laughter always composts my problems away.

6. LauraBee says:

Given her penchant for flitting from one trend to the next, I don’t think she’ll stick with it. For her sake ( and her kids’ )I hope she does.

Chicken Poop for the Soul … gotta go find that now ….

7. Not Britney’s first brush with horticulture. There are those unfortunate pictures from the botanical garden outing with the strategically placed flowers. (Google it yourself.) And then there’s also a post by Julie over at the Human Flower Project (Magnolia: Early Mammals and Britney) on the botanical basis of her perfume, Curious: http://www.humanflowerproject.com/index.php/weblog/magnolia_early_mammals_and_britney/

Maybe she actually has an affinity for plants. Most folks don’t discover that until they’re well into their 30s or 40s.

8. victoria cavanaugh says:

I once worked for a coke fiend restaurateur who in his late 40s became obsessed with gardening and morphed into this nice peaceful guy with a fabulous garden and dog.

Gardening has surely kept me off antidepressants and booze.

But I don’t think anyone who is drawn to it as therapy would ever do it deliberately. They just naturally work it into their life indoors or out.

If Britany was serious about it she’d just plant some things and start experimenting, hands in the dirt. Reading a bunch of guru “theory” is pointless. Real gardeners garden because they HAVE to.

Still, I do try to get my disinterested friends at it. Mainly so we can trade plants 😉 And people in my queens neighborhood should be flogged with switches so they remember plants exist!

Maybe they will take note of miss Spears, but I doubt it.

9. MO – Gardening IS Religion :-).

10. Jenn says:

If she actually gets her hands dirty, she may find it really is theraputic.

11. Nancy says:

I have no doubt that horticultural therapy can work. I just have doubt that she will really take the cure and get dirty enough, or actually grow something long enough, for it to work for *her*.
    Call me a cynic!

12. Laura Z says:

I know that turning my compost pile with a pitchfork is great anger management therapy.

I just dread her making gardening ‘trendy’.

13. That’s great news. I know that garden therapy is effective for relieving anxiety and stress. I hope she sticks with it.

Turning outwardly to the tending of plants will take her mind off of herself and may be a sign of maturing on her part. I hope this new nurturing streak benefits her kids.
    Shirley

14. Rebecca says:

I disagree with victoria. Real gardeners don’t garden because they have to, they garden because they love too.

15. For me, gardening is a lifestyle and health dedication deeper and more powerful than anything I have ever experienced. It has outlasted pets, houses, and men.

It IS an addiction that’s better than drugs. It is exposure to nature and learning patience. You know you are addicted when you start referring to your garden as “gardens” and “the East garden, North garden, back garden, corner garden, side garden, hosta garden, sunflower garden, cutting garden, public garden, and, and, and, and, and….”

I hope that Brittney whole-heartedly adopts the addiction like we all have and truly sees the joy in it.

Shawna

16. Barbara says:

Flowers…based on horticulture – – OMG this is dumb.