Uncategorized

It's on the Daily Show, and it's spot-on.

Posted by on May 15, 2009 at 9:18 am, in the category Uncategorized.

12 responses to ““Little Crop of Horrors” – Sam Bee on the dangers of Michelle Obama’s organic garden”

1. Ah those crazy people at The Daily Show! Of course, a short, comical clip will not address all the issues concerning Big Ag food vs local food.
    The ACSH website has some information on enriching food that may sound convincing to some but after visiting their website, read Michael Pollan’s book In Defense Of Food to get less biased information about nutrition (or nutritionism, as he calls it)

2. Michelle says:

I nearly choked on a grape, I laughed so hard!

3. LauraBee says:

note to self : don’t follow GR’s Daily Show links at work. Too many co-workers stop by to see what all the guffawing is about…

4. I watched it last night. It was awesome.

“They may as well have planted abortion trees.”

Nailed it!

5. Jay says:

Eh, it didn’t do much for me.

Non-organics have their place – high yield agriculture wouldn’t be possible without them. Cheap food is a wonderful thing. Much much more important that cheap gas. It is not an exaggeration to say that cheap food is the only thing stopping widespread starvation.

A lot of people in the organic crowd are really just anti-science.

6. Michelle says:

Hey Jay, you might want to have a look at this: http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agriculture/science_and_impacts/science/failure-to-yield.html

“Failure to Yield is the first report to closely evaluate the overall effect genetic engineering has had on crop yields in relation to other agricultural technologies. It reviewed two dozen academic studies of corn and soybeans, the two primary genetically engineered food and feed crops grown in the United States. Based on those studies, the UCS report concluded that genetically engineering herbicide-tolerant soybeans and herbicide-tolerant corn has not increased yields. Insect-resistant corn, meanwhile, has improved yields only marginally. The increase in yields for both crops over the last 13 years, the report found, was largely due to traditional breeding or improvements in agricultural practices.”

7. shira says:

Michael Pollan was on the Stephen Colbert show this week. also hillarious.

8. Lorrie says:

I laughed so hard, I cried. Thanks for posting this–and like you said, spot on!

Lorrie

9. Benjamin says:

Wait, that was sarcastic? Oh my.

I can’t get over the talk about anal sex and seeing carrots pulled from the brown soil.

Enjoy having search engines coming to GR after someone types that in.

10. Andy says:

Sad to think that an “organic” label would increse the cost of vegtables.If I used chemicals in my garden it would only cost more.

11. When I watched that piece on the Daily Show, my only question was how does Jeff Stier say that sh#te with a straight face?

My new fave term coined in this piece: “Big Local Garden” – I need to have some t-shirts made!

12. Fred says:

Why is it that this episode is no longer available? I’m wondering if Monsanto’s goons have somehow gotten it pulled or hacked it to make it unworkable.