Uncategorized

What a gardener looks like

Obama2a

Looks like real mud on her shoes and pants.  More photos here.

Posted by on April 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm, in the category Uncategorized.

19 responses to “What a gardener looks like”

1. Karen says:

That’s more like it! None of this cashmere sleeveless top and fancy boots thing. Old tennies and grubby pants. I love this woman! She is making my gardener’s heart sing with her smart smart smart decision to do this garden and set such a great example. I hope even a small portion of the people who copy her fashion sense will also emulate her veggie growing choices!

2. Kezza says:

Still fancier than my gardening gear but at least she looks more like a gardener this time, complete with grubby knees. I love the message that this sends and hope that it inspires more people to start a kitchen garden. :)

3. Michele says:

For the first time in my life, I am really proud of my country.

4. Susan Harris says:

Very funny, while probably being true.

5. Love it, love our First Lady. And ditto what Michele said.

6. Denise says:

What a First Lady looks like…

7. Valerie says:

Enh, I get WAY dirtier when I garden. Which is part of the appeal 😉

8. If someone was taking my photo while I gardened, I’d probably dress it up a little, too! :-)

She’s not afraid to get her knees dirty. Michelle can go from glam to gardener with ease!

Cameron

9. Barbara says:

Now THAT’s today’s WOMAN!

The 1st REAL 1st Lady in my lifetime!

10. joene says:

The image on the nightly news of the First Lady in her garden on her knees … priceless!

11. Michelle Obama is a big city girl and I think this is her very first vegetable garden. I hope she read Michele’s rules for Beginner Vegetable Gardeners where the comments still don’t work.

12. Pam J. says:

Speaking of the Rules for Beginning Veg Gardeners post (“where the comments still don’t work”): great post Michele. Nobody really needs to buy another how-to-garden book. Those 10 rules say it all.

13. Anita says:

That looks like me after about five minutes in the garden. I love that she looks happy.

14. JT says:

No wonder she’s smiling . . . spring sunshine, gardening, and schoolkids: what’s not to like? Michelle looks much more comfortable now.

15. judybusy says:

It occurred to me that I couldn’t pick Laura Bush out of a line up if my life depended on it–I love how visible Ms. Obama is!

Here in MN, where my crocus and Iris reticulata are juuust about to bloom, I just sat in awe that they are planting basil and rosemary. Look at all the leaves on the trees!

16. They picked the most gorgeous day of the year here for it yesterday too. I love the dirty knees – now all she needs are some Crocs and a good hat.

I recognize that pose too — how many hours have I spent in my own garden with hands on hips, surveying, and mulling over my next moves.

17. Rosella says:

Weeeeellllll — if they’re planting basil in DeeCee right now, they are way more optimistic than I am four miles away in NoVa! Too early! Too cold! Ground too cold! Sky’s falling!

But that is a great picture, and I hope she is having a good time!

18. Old Kim says:

Who plants like that? It looked more serious than fun.
    I like the lady.
    I liked Laura, too.

19. Rosella – I questioned the basil here too as a bit early and it will dip into the chilly 30 tonight. I’m betting someone will be out their with cloches or frost blankets to protect the success of these First Family herbs.