Uncategorized

Save the Frogs Day April 28

Frogs-save2

“Frogs are the most threatened group of animals on
Earth. Nearly one-third of the world’s 6,468 amphibian species are
threatened with extinction, and at least 150 species have already
completely disappeared in recent decades,” according toSave the Frogs.com(Wait!  Before clicking on that link turn the volume up, call your pets and tell us how they respond to the sounds of frogs.  My cats were intensely interested.)  Here’s a terrific post about providing for frogs in our gardens.

Frogtan

Photo credit.

Posted by on April 26, 2009 at 6:30 am, in the category Uncategorized.

8 responses to “Save the Frogs Day April 28”

1. Funny you mention cats and computer-generated animal sounds: I was ID’ing a bird call (trying to!) the other day by listening to an ornithology site. My feline woke from the deepest sleep instantly, and looked at me with the most frantic, puzzled expression.

Everyday here is save the frog day (or *love* the frog day), so much so I even had to give the frogboys who live with me their own website at http://frogboys.com.

2. Kim says:

Absolutely no response from my dog. She will respond to animal in distress sounds from the TV, but no response to the frog sounds.

I see toads here all the time, but after 4 years in this house, we finally saw frogs last year – little brown ones that climbed up the garage door and “hunted” near the light. Although we didn’t see frogs, we certainly heard them at night.

3. Old Kim says:

I hadn’t checked out my live in house mouse traps for a couple of months. I needed the traps in a greenhouse cause rodents were eating the seedlings. Two old tree frogs were deceased inside. I was afraid of killing them with poison but I killed them accidentally in a trap.

4. Barbara says:

We only saw one toad last year… but in our small koi and comet pond, our family of 5 frogs are happy. Papa was “singing” on and off all afternoon during our heat wave in the Hudson Valley. All marshes/wetlands are teeming with tree frogs this year!

5. May we please make this Save the Frogs/Ban the Atrazine Day?

6. We’ve had a deafening frog chorus each evening for weeks and this will continue on and off until late fall. The natural pond out front mostly surrounded by woooded areas provides good habitat. Our no-poison landscaping also makes a difference. The frogs have increased each year since we’ve been here. The previous owner’s poisons have probably faded away finally.

7. Martha says:

I’m completely on board with efforts being made – any and all efforts involved with saving frogs.

And I suspect that anyone who watches NOVA has seen those frightening abberations that frogs become when pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers invade their watery homes.

Thanks so much for this post.
    I’ll get it onto my blog this week.

8. PeonInChief says:

We have Pacific Chorus frogs and, yes, they do sing. We don’t use any pesticides and left some of the ivy in the front yard to give them protection. But I saw my first one a couple of years ago when I was tidying up a cranesbill. The frog jumped out of the pot onto my potting bench, scaring me half to death. It eventually jumped off the bench and went off to find a new home.