Eat This

Food AND beauty!

Vermont garden with lettuces and peasROSPUBLIC

Above, Vermont garden with lettuce and peas by Rosalind Creasy.  Below, another garden by Ros – a barrel garden with tomatoes, strawberries, lettuce, basil and thyme.Ros barrel garden with tomatoes, strawberries, letuce, basil, and thyme 0027ROSPUBLIC

ChardcropChan
Photo above, from Chanticleer Garden.

Posted by on April 8, 2009 at 12:52 pm, in the category Eat This.

13 responses to “Food AND beauty!”

1. Brie says:

I love Rosalind Creasy! I heard her once on Talk of the Nation’s Science Friday, and immediately looked her up. Her garden sensibilities are so sharp, and those images absolutely gorgeous.

2. Who says edibles are beautiful?? I have a pot of lettuces on my front step. I’m with Brie, these photos are great.

3. Beautiful green. Love the Ruby Chard

Rob

4. Hey Susan,
    One of my favorite subjects. I just spoke at Epcot’s Int. Fower and Garden Festival last week about “The Beautiful and Bountiful Edible Garden!”

People are hungry for information about edible gardens and I’m encouraging them to “think outside the vegetable plot” and utilize the whole yard for edible plants!

Some people with small yards think they have to choose between a plot or a garden, you can have both with good design just as you showed in photos of Rosalind’s gardens.

Shirley Bovshow

5. greg draiss says:

outstanding gardens

6. Rosella says:

Gorgeous! Note to self — buy ruby chard seed for that bare spot in front of the tomato cages.

7. Jay says:

These are so beautiful. They make me feel like an underachiever and simultaneously inspires me to greatness.

8. Inspirational! Thank you for sharing those pictures.

9. commonweeder says:

Beautiful photos and posting. I am now calling the Garden Extension, the Potager.
    I’m adding a few flowers. Unlike last year, the Potager will have Paths. I got free wood chips! Onward!

10. Lisa says:

Absolutely lovely, and certainly what I like to promote!

11. Jen says:

Oooo…thank you! I’m going to have to find her books at the library. This is *exactly* what we want to do.

(No neighbors complained about the pepper plants lining the driveway last year, so…)

12. Germi says:

It is SO BEAUTIFUL!

But I harvest my lettuces and chard and peas and … well, nothing gets the chance to look that good! I’m eating it!
    I can’t help but wonder WHY a working vegetable garden is looking that pretty – not that it can’t, but … I don’t know, am I being cynical? It kind of looks like a vegetable gardening made for a photo shoot.

Do you know what I mean?

13. John says:

I hear you Germi, this could also be a part of why she overhauls the garden throughout the year.

In my yard I tend to harvest bits and pieces of most of the greens rather than taking out an entire row of plants but there are some crops that only look beautiful right before harvest and are butt ugly right after. It helps to scatter things around rather than have everything in clumps… My edibles would never look that photogenic, something is always being ripped out and something else is always being planted. But it is very encouraging and anything that shakes up the norm is a good thing.