Gardening on the Planet

Definitive Update on Colony Collapse Disorder

BeeFlickrAntonioMachado
In Scientific American.  Hat tip to Judy Lowe of the Christian Science Monitor.

Photo by Antonio Machado.

Posted by on April 4, 2009 at 4:16 am, in the category Gardening on the Planet.

9 Responses to “Definitive Update on Colony Collapse Disorder”

1. Wow, lets hope they can find a way to neutralize the virus before we lose the bees.

A great detective story.

2. Michele says:

Thanks for the link, Susan. We’re very interested here, because we haven’t had any success yet with our hive.

3. Bob says:

Just attended a local university extension class on bees. Found out a lot about native bees I did not know, including that most don’t sting. Fascinating subject.

4. ChristyACB says:

That they’ve isolated IAPV is encouraging but the other results are so very disturbing and a wagging finger in the face of humanity’s big-agro methods!

The simple practice of keeping a variety of herbs, flowers and crops for a good bee diet and not using pesticides for no reason works better than anything else in preventing CCD and now that simple wisdom so many of us organic gardeners practice is now validated by serious and unbiased studies. How wonderful to know that there is hope.

On a strange note, we’ve had almost no bees here for years. I do mean, none. This is one of the first really crashed places from CCD. We pollinate by hand or with other insects..even flies!

So for years, we’ve (and many other locals) been planting a huge variety of things they’d like to have and ensuring cozy places for them to live in the woods. Finally, this year, in the first week of April, this area is swamped with bees. They are all over the place and as hale and hearty as I’ve ever seen.

There is hope.

5. have noticed ongoing loss of bees in middle south for past 20 years. had two huge bee trees when first on the farm, with their flourishing hives giving
    fantastic yields in garden. when they
    swarmed, less cane back. that trend has continued…
    as years passed, my organic garden and fruit trees seem to lack such major
    vigorous production, even with the yearly buildup of good soil that i have today. now i notice other insects taking their place, esp the bumble-type bees. are they in danger, as well?
    i hope there is hope….

6. Gloria says:

I have long felt that the way honey bees are managed might be a problem.
    Can you imagine that most bees, even when able to find good sources of pollen and nectar then have most of the honey stores taken and replaced with a sugary confection over the months of less flower availability.
    Plant diversity and a better look at the native bee population should be part of the solution.
    The only problem is instead of fostering larger, more diverse populations of native bees, researchers are picking a few species that can be managed to agricultures needs.

7. I did not read through entire article but was intrigued that no dead bees were found. Haven’t I have heard this before?

8. John says:

I learned two important things reading that article – that European Honeybees do not impact native bees (which contradicts all that I have been told before) and that weeds play a roll in a healthy landscape. In the past I would often state to anyone raising a fuss about colony collapse that I will save my tears for native bees, now I don’t see these invaders as such a problem. Not that my yard has ever been weed free or even well weeded, but now I see a reason to just leave large sections of it alone and let mother nature do the voodoo that she do so well.