Real Gardens

Bloom Day, California

Bdfrontgate

In honor of Bloom Day:  my awesome new fence!  I hired a couple of friends whose hours had been cut at their regular job, and I got this in just a couple of days. Fabulous!  There's a lilac in full bloom right in front, although you can hardly see it in this harsh light.

Bdcerinthe

And I LOVE cerinthe, a freely re-seeding annual that starts blooming in March.

Posted by on April 15, 2009 at 12:08 pm, in the category Real Gardens.

11 responses to “Bloom Day, California”

1. d_2 says:

i’m thinking about installing a fence similar to the one you show here, can you post info about dimensions of your yard and costs?

2. Your new fence is fabulous and a perfect match for your house. Nice to help friends and get a beautiful new addition to your house/garden as well.

Having built a 100 foot long gorgeous cedar fence in an Asian-influenced style, I can tell d_2 that a custom fence is not cheap. It took my husband almost 3 years to complete it. Cost about $3,000 for materials and some equipment rental. Labor was obviously “free.” You can see a shot of the fence in the last image on today’s blog post.

3. Michele Owens says:

Wow, I love the fence. I love that it’s painted, too.

Getting your friends to build your fence seems like a smart move. I’ve bought two fences in my life. One was built by a carpenter. The other was delivered and assembled by a fence company. Nine years later, the custom-built one still looks amazing. The fence company fence looks beat after 3 years.

4. Sheila says:

Cerinthe is my favorite too!

5. chuck b. says:

I can’t say enough good things about Cerinthe. Fabulous. Love it.

6. Nice fence, and nice friends! I love the cerinthe. I may just have to look for that. I’ve seen so many plants that have to go on the ‘gotta have’ list this GBBD- I wish we could move sooner than later!

7. A lovely fence! And it’s lovely that you were able to hire friends to build it, a real win-win situation there. Here in Minnesota it will be several weeks before the lilac are in bloom, but the crocus are coming up very nicely!

8. Congratulations, Amy, and Happy Bloom Day! Very attractive fence indeed…

9. Sounds like a win-win: you, who got a terrific fence, and your frieds, who got some to work on a great project. I’ll have to make room for some cerinthe–It sounds like it’s got quite the fan club.

10. Brie says:

Hooray cerinthe, and nice fence! I love the blue you’ve accented with.

11. As a Los Angelino and newbie gardener, I’ll have to check out the Cerinthe. Congrats on your fence!

Susan