Real Gardens

Backyard Hens on Gawker

So I love Gawker more than anybody, which is why I gleefully direct you to this snarky post on backyard chicken-raising as "a confluence of localvore do-gooderism and desperate poverty transforming America's suburbs into a Third World hellscape". Are we becoming Cuba?  And how bad would that be?  You decide.

Posted by on April 19, 2009 at 7:46 pm, in the category Real Gardens.

13 responses to “Backyard Hens on Gawker”

1. Stacy says:

I’d give good money to have enough space to be able to have chickens, elitist snobs be damned.

2. Elizabeth Stump says:

My brother-in-law, a suburban snob of the highest order, thinks people who grow vegetables in their front yard make their house look like it belongs in a poor neighborhood. His idea of landscape only includes the lawn that surrounds the pool and the front lawn (which me makes my sister take care of). He’s an arrogant sort. Which is why I get a kick out of the thought of someone in his precious suburb, Burbank, CA, somehow sullying it with backyard poultry farming. SQUEE! I personally think it’s charming. As long as there are no dueling roosters at 5 am, I love it. Some dark and twisted part of me wants my brother-in-law to wake up at 5 am with dueling roosters disturbing his sleep. Rock on backyard chicken farmers!!!

3. Lori says:

Maybe this makes me a bad person, but the best part about that article are the snarky comments.

I see no problem with backyard chickens, as long as the coop is kept clean and there’s no odor. People need to chill out. I think it’s worse to keep big dogs and leave them sit out in the backyard all the time or let them roam the neighborhood, and I wouldn’t call that uncommon.

4. Karen says:

Here in Seattle chickens are uber-hip and although I probably am not up for the work they require, I intensely lust after having them and hope to someday if I ever have the space. I agree with the previous comment, chicken fanciers are probably a lot more conscientious and considerate than many dog owners. Gawker is silly!

5. Michele Owens says:

Gawker made me laugh. But I’m with Lori. My chickens are much less offensive than your average dog.

6. Ed Bruske says:

Troglodytes will always be with us. I would love to be able to walk out into the yard and snatch a couple of eggs for breakfast. There are lots of ways the U.S. is trying to become a third world country (should we draw up a list?) but growing your own food is not one of them. Let them that will continue to buy their crappy feedlot eggs at the supermarket.

7. ChristyACB says:

That is so funny. What is even more funny is when it becomes hip in a neighborhood. Then you have show chickens, rare breed chickens and chicken play dates. Good heavens…

I sure wish Norfolk would let me keep a few hens for eggs. I’ll keep trying though. :)

8. As an L.A. native and newbie gardener, I’ve gotta say that while I applaud people growing vegetables on their front lawns, and while I believe we should replace parkway grass with xeriscape or native California plants, I draw the line at backyard chickens!

Yikes! Having worked in a chicken house at a kibbutz in Israel for three months in 1972, I can’t stand the little buggers! And the sound of chickens cackling makes me break out in hives!

9. Kim says:

If I could have a couple of chickens, I would, in a heartbeat. I’m sure they are quieter at 10 pm than my neighbor’s barking dog (who sounds like he’s IN the bedroom with us). Our “shed guy” – we bought our shed from him – says he has a hen who follows him around and sits in his lap as soon as he sits down. And she gives eggs. That sounds wonderful to me.

10. I’ll bet that the things I eat which are birthed from a chicken’s rear are fresher than his. And healthier. So, there.

11. PeonInChief says:

There are lots of thing that make us look like a Third World country.
    Bankers who rip off the public sector–CHECK.
    Compliant politicians who help them–CHECK.
    An inadequate social safety net–CHECK.
    Homeless people living in shanties down by the river–CHECK.

Raising small animals and vegies in the yard. Get a grip. We have much bigger problems.

12. Old Kim says:

I’d rather have chickens shitting at my back door than big gov paying me anything. I don’t want handouts. FY! Give the money to schools.

13. Amy, check out http://cuteoverload.com/
    Chickens, your multi-purpose farm animal for: eggs, fertilizer, slug abatement, puppy warmer