Eat This

Sharing Backyards Hits the U.S.

Sharing400

First we heard about Landsharing in the U.K. where people with land are pairing up with wannabee
gardeners without land, and we all wished the service were available here.  Well, wish no more – it's here and it's called SharingBackyards.com.  And I recently heard from Alex on behalf of Sharing Yards DC, urging me to "spread the word to friends, neighbors, and
other interested parties – it's open to everyone in the DC metro area."

So I'm happy to help spread the word about this much-needed service.  I've been trying for years now to get a community garden to happen in my own town, to no avail, so I welcome this much simpler neighbor-to-neighbor barter system.  Check out what's happening near you.

Posted by on March 3, 2009 at 4:05 am, in the category Eat This.

14 responses to “Sharing Backyards Hits the U.S.”

1. TC says:

Sounds interesting. May I ask what you based your “much-needed service” statement on? I’m investigating whether or not GWA’a PAR might be viable in our rural area when most everyone has a backyard garden. I also think sharing backyards is part of the same movement of “help-me-do-it,” or even “I-pay-you-to-do-it-for-me,” gardening vs. do-it-yourself.

2. Dave says:

I think this is great. There seems to be more and more folks taking advantage of the social networking side of the internet for things like this- I just came across Bright Neighbor, up in Oregon, last week. Anything that facilitates working together is pretty valuable, in my book. We’re doing the same thing: we have a 1/4 acre lot, so we’re gardening in the backyard with some apartment-dwelling friends. Hopefully it’ll help force me to keep the garden in shape, even when my season is in full swing!

3. Susan Harris says:

Why do I think it’s “much-needed”? Because so many people who’d like to grow food don’t have sunny spaces of their own. Even in my suburban town where most people have yards, most of those yards are shady and our tree-protection law prohibits getting rid of the shade.

4. Besides this opportunity to convert more people to gardening — whether for food crops or ornamentals, I’m just excited that neighbors are taking the opportunity to get to know one another, cooperate on projects, and better appreciate what we all have if only we’d reach out and connect. I hope this cultural shift continues!

5. iona says:

What a great idea especially in a rural town like Fort Bragg where so many people already know each other and there are many who are in need as well. I hope its ok to link to your post and create my own post on the subject. Keep an eye out for my post in the next few days. Thanks for a wonderful idea.
    iona

6. Michele says:

I think this is a great idea. I hate to see sunny yards going to waste in a hungry world. If the homeowner can’t or won’t garden, why not join forces with somebody who wants to?

7. I’m glad these services are starting. (There’s also hyperlocavore yardsharing: http://hyperlocavore.ning.com/ )However, I wish I could find one that would help disabled people garden. I used to garden every inch of my large yard but have become more & more disabled in the last 2 years. I’d like to find someone who would help me with my garden tasks in exchange for space in my large raised beds. But finding someone through a network of trust (as opposed to just putting an ad on Craigs List) is hard.

8. Nikki Smith says:

I came across this concept a few weeks ago, and I have to agree it’s a really great idea. I’ve encountered many DC residents who like the idea of gardening but don’t have a space large enough to grow anything.

9. Judy Watkins says:

I live on a small urban green in Boston. We were discovered by Community Greens, a group that stresses the social benefits of sharing space and highlights examples. Taking down a fence or two makes a huge difference in the available light whether you grow ornamentals or food together. It is the essential first step. Growing flowers and herbs is a great starting point.

10. We bumped Sharing Yards DC in our new issue – and now I hear from a NONprofit doing this very thing here in DC as well. Will check them out and report more on them in the next issue and on our blog.

Sincerely,
    Kathy Jentz
    Editor/Publisher
    Washington Gardener Magazine
    826 Philadelphia Ave.
    Silver Spring MD 20910
    301-588-6894
    WGardenermag@aol.com

11. FM2YO says:

Thank you so very much for sharing your ideas and thoughts. We just recently moved from the desert in AZ to the coast in OR, so gardening here is a whole new experience to say the least! I love the idea of sharing gardens. I know how to grow some things and I am going to talk to my neighbors about growing something other than what I grow and maybe we can share?

Thank you for sharing your information and thoughts – You are appreciated.

12. Very interesting idea!

13. Anyone interested in bringing Sharing Backyards to their community can email me at info (at) sharingbackyards (dot) com .

We’re the fastest growing yard sharing site in North America, and there is no cost to use the site, nor is there any necessary login.

Visit our main page for more details: http://www.sharingbackyards.com

14. Rebecca says:

Great idea for those receptive to it, and more power to them.

Me, I really like my fence.