Uncategorized

Details of White House Kitchen Garden – and Bee Hives!

Garden400

"Wow" is about all I can say.  Here's more.

Posted by on March 19, 2009 at 3:51 pm, in the category Uncategorized.

12 Responses to “Details of White House Kitchen Garden – and Bee Hives!

1. Karen says:

Can I get a witness? What a great day for gardening! If Michelle O’s doing it, everyone’s going to want to! The Clintons grew veggies on the White House roof? Who knew?! Awesome.

2. Michelle D. says:

good for them and everybody else who is involved.

isn’t change great !?

3. I think it’s great that the kitchen staff really do plan to use the veggies. Also great that the First Lady will have some school children involved.

Cameron

4. Annie says:

Wow! I love that my president and his family set an example of exactly the values I want my own children to learn.

5. commonweeder says:

Hooray1 We can all celebrate the garden, and the fact that the president’s famous bully pulpit is being used for something so positive. A vegetable garden is that can influence all of us every day. Here’s to good eating.

6. linda says:

Best news I’ve read in a long time – hopeful, exciting, and inspiring.

7. suzq says:

I’m reposting my comment from the Wa Po thread below.

In my (200 pupil strong!) beekeeping class last night, we learned that Washington, DC is a great location for hives. The MD/VA nectoring season is, with luck, about 6 weeks long. DC gets an extra two weeks from the linden trees along Connecticut Ave.

I strongly recommend that Barack and Michelle get some bee veils to wear and help out with the hives. The bees force you to be slow and deliberate–after all, you don’t want to crush your producers! It’s surprisingly calming and it’s not as grueling as weeding.

8. Pam says:

Thanks for posting the layout of the white house kitchen garden (I just read about the ground breaking earlier.) I laughed, because their garden will have a lot of the same things as my first veggie garden. I’m probably going to steal their pathway edging ideas. :)

9. Jenny says:

Love it! Heard about the garden on NPR today- glad you have the details.

We’re off to get more bees tomorrow, too. They’re more entertaining than you’d think.

10. Sadly, Bee-keeping is illegal in the District. The White House is on Federal property — does that exempt it from city law? My BIG question really is: if they can do it there, why can’t the rest of DC have and enjoy a beehive?