Real Gardens

Are vertical gardens really gardens? And who does the maintenance?

Caixaforum-2
I have SO many questions about these features popping up in the design world.  Read about this one in Madrid and see 14 more vertical gardens right herePhoto by Funkstrum.

Posted by on March 13, 2009 at 12:29 pm, in the category Real Gardens.

8 responses to “Are vertical gardens really gardens? And who does the maintenance?”

1. Michele says:

I think these gardens are BEAUTIFUL and MAGICAL, and Patrick Blanc’s newish book about them is completely fascinating.

I mean, I would gladly live in a world in which every surface were gardened.

2. Debbie says:

Thanks for sharing that link. Each picture was more amazing than the last. But I think my favorite is the ‘Unique Potted Vertical Garden’ – I immediately get this wonderful imagery in my head of those neighbors creating the garden together for their own enjoyment. I can’t imagine a better place to spend a few hours chatting with friends than right there in that courtyard.

3. gail says:

Incredible! I do think about a small succulent wall on a bare wall in my suburban garden! gail

4. Michelle D. says:

I love ’em,
    especially the job security aspect.

5. Karen says:

Yeah, there was a (much smaller) one at the NWFGS last month here in Seattle. Lots of oohing and ahing over it, but it seems like it would be hard to maintain.

6. Nancy says:

I’d call a vertical garden the ultimate container garden. They would be hard to maintain at a huge scale. I wonder how long they planned for it to last?

7. Rosella says:

Really beautiful! Love the header one — imagine the planning, to get that abstract design right. But I can’t imagine the work invovled! I know how much my pot garden takes to keep it happy in July!

8. linda says:

Wow! We saw some vertical garden examples at the Chicago garden show. They pale in comparison with these feats of engineering. Really amazing. And beautiful – part architecture, part garden.