It's the Plants, Darling

A post-Bloom Day appreciation

Snowdrops

It’s generally so cold when snowdrops come out—and they’re so tiny anyway—that many pass them by. Snowdrops are peaking here in Buffalo. This is how I like to enjoy mine.

Posted by on March 31, 2009 at 12:00 pm, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

13 responses to “A post-Bloom Day appreciation”

1. Michele says:

Oh, beautiful. I love them, too.

2. Kathy says:

Yes, I need to bring some of mine in the house, too.

3. Gwendolyn says:

I adore snowdrops- especially the flore pleno. What a great way to look at them!

4. Darcy says:

They’re wonderful! And it looks like you’re a bit of a bulb collector, eh? Those don’t look like the standard, typical galanthus blooms.

5. Are you the one who bought, like, 500 bulbs last fall? 😉 I’m going to take you as my role model this fall!

6. Elizabeth says:

Ha. Katie, yeah, it seems incredible, but it was close to 400, at least.

There are lots of different types of snowdrops, but in my view you can’t really tell the differences until you look at them from this angle!

One is the double, as correctly identified by Gwendolyn.

7. I like to cut a few Snowdrops for indoors just because of the scent.

8. Jay says:

Incredible.

9. Bob Vaiden says:

Snowdrops are gone in Urbana by now; Daffodils and early wild tulips are blooming!

Native wildflowers like Hepatica and Bloodroot have been blooming for the last 2 weeks; both will fade by the end of this week.

Toothwort is about to bloom, Prairie Trillium will soon follow; Bluebells and Duthchman’s Breeches are budding; Mayapples have just broken ground. Spring Beauty has just started to bloom.

It’s a beautiful world:)

10. linda says:

They are really gorgeous, and perfect at that angle.

11. Judybusy says:

Gorgeous! I’ve been meaning to grow snowdrops for ages, and I must remember to plant some this fall. So many bulbs, so little money and space!

But these last two have their virtues. About four years ago, I sodded over my ugly bark-mulch “garden” and am much happier, with a prettier back yard, with less to maintain. It also means I grow mostly what I really, truly love.

12. Rosella says:

Lovely! They appear so delicate and fragile, yet they bloom at such a tough time of year! And their fragrance is indeed celestial. I think I love snowdrop, hellebore and hepatica season most of all — it is such a subtle time in the garden.

Beverly Nichols has a rather elaborate design for a snowdrop-viewing-vase involving a mirror beneath the flowers so that one can see them clearly from below — maybe I will try that next year. They’re gone here now, and the magnolia soulangeana, Bradford pear, plums, and the famous cherry blossoms are in bloom. It is ravishing!

13. Steve says:

Yes–I think he called it the Nichol’s patented viewer–something much snappier, I’m sure. I can’t recall which book. Will have to look it up.