Everybody's a Critic

What’s That You Say? We Can Get Information From Our Computers?

What an odd little story from the Associated Press.  Gardeners today don't have to have heavy old stacks of books sitting around!  Why, all they have to do nowadays is bookmark a website on their computer! You know what's even more amazing?  These so-called Web sites are free!

The ultimate irony? Four of the eight links don't actually get you to the right place. Maybe next year gardeners will learn about hyperlinks!  Why, you just click on the underlined word and….

Posted by on February 2, 2009 at 10:51 am, in the category Everybody's a Critic.

20 Responses to “What’s That You Say? We Can Get Information From Our Computers?”

1. Susan Harris says:

Good lord, reminds me of this sad listing of gardening resources online by the New York Times editors:

2. Doug Green says:

You young whippersnipper bloggers making fun of the old gray lady! She’s doin’ her best dontchaknow. You’d probably kick a guy when she’s down too. You just try running a multi-gabillion dollar collapsing industry and see how far you can get it wrong. Why not pick on somebody who can do something about it or who gives a damn what you think? And what’s with bringin’ up articles from the past – sorta like using a memory or somethin? Not fighting fair is it to remind the poor paper about what annoyed you then?

Pick on somebody your own size!

3. tai haku says:

“Do a google search. The more specific the better”

wow – thanks for that insight AP.

4. greg draiss says:

Half the links do not get you you to the right place because the people writing these stupid articles don’t bother to fact check because 1) they do not care about gardening 2) stupid deadlines from even stupider editors 3) articles culled together from wire services.

The (writing my ass off during the recession and making more money than last year doing so) TROLL

5. JOHN at JWLW says:

if you check out some of the Links mentioned you will find out that:
    1. they are too complicated for the average blogger to follow.

2. A lot of the information may not be correct or is distorted to suit the Post.

3. to complicated or to technical for the average gardener.

I could go on and on but what it boils down to is that most of them are not for the average gardener and you can get more reliable information from the writers who run a blog of their own.

6. Melanthia says:

Oh dear. As a former AP writer, I’m terribly embarrassed. However, I learned early on to check links in my stories, otherwise you’d have a desk editor yelling across the room at you. This whole list looks messed up, though, with strange breaks and all.

7. Doug Green says:

Greg – I must have missed the part where I dissed small newspapers. Oh, if you mean the reference to “collapsing industry” and you want to remove the small weeklies from that description, feel free. If you say their financials are good – then I’m not the guy to argue with you – yup, I’ll give up. Man, you really gotta watch your back when you put your tongue in your cheek around here. ;-)

8. gardenmentor says:

This is pretty funny. In particular, I like that the Google link takes you to the business page on Google. I really thought it would go to some sort of Wiki explaining what it means “to google”. Anyone who finds this article useful probably wonders what the heck “googling” means. (Removing my tongue from my cheek now.)

9. luise h. says:

I am speechless.That does not happen very often.
    Then again,maybe they really are clueless?

10. Lisa Albert says:

OMG, that’s a lame excuse for an article. Or more precisely, great topic, lousy follow-through.

Greg, maybe in your neck of the woods, small weeklies are thriving but they’re struggling as much as the big paper in my area. I heard via the grapevine that the president of the media group that owns a lot of our weeklies laid off a bunch of people not long ago.

11. My guesses:

1. This is just a sidebar to a longer article.

2. Life without editors and copydesks.

3. Life after they’ve let the garden writer go.

12. Elizabeth Stump says:

I am mostly a self-taught gardener. I trolled a lot of nurseries, bought a lot of garden catalogs in the 90′s and read them like books as resources to learn about a wide variety of plants (loved my Heronswood Nursery and Greer Gardens catalogs!) , and read/bought a nice assortment of books too. In addition to my books and nursery wanderings, catalogs taught me quite a lot about plants, in that “not learned from real life experience” sort of way.” I think if people want to learn about gardening, they should look to study good garden nursery web sites. I find a well laid out web page about a plant with lots of info can be just as informative as a book.

Tthe NY Times article screams “SLOPPY EDITING!” before posting. Broken links and generic academic web sites. Once again, I find a web site from a nursery selling plants usually gives a bit more feedback on varieties of cultivars, such as which mimulus is more floriforous in my area than some dry academic description that does not really give me a comparison against other cultivars. The nursery web sites usually give a bit of advice as to how to coax a bit more performance out of a plant versus the plain old, “prefers Mediterranean climate.”

13. Okay…How the HECK do we comment on this pathetic NY Times article? I think we need to let the editors know they messed up big time.

That has to be the worst piece of trash posing as an article I have ever seen.

14. Doug Green: Are you serious? Small weekly papers are thriving while dailies are dying beacause the shareholders sold out to corpoarte big wigs who care not about the local economy they claim to serve. Give it up already………….

Not really. First of all, I find it hard to believe that someone who makes their living as a writer has such atrocious spelling skills. And second, all of the smaller papers in my neck of the woods are struggling too. I don’t know anyone who reads any sort of newspaper, daily, weekly or otherwise.

15. This is an article? Did somebody actually get paid for that drivel? And somebody else felt the need to actually publish it? Why?

16. Shibaguyz says:

*snicker*

good lord what will those gardeners think of next?!?!?!??

17. Barbara says:

Was this written in 1992?

By a 5th Grader?

18. commonweeder says:

I use the internet a lot. In various ways. I have found good websites when I am looking for a particular piece of info, but there is a lot to be said for the kind of general and specific information that is found when trolling through catalogs and all those much dismissed BOOKS. I also have to say that no newspapers in my region are doing well. And with the economy as it is advertisers are less free with their dollars so it won’t get better soon.

19. That’s not a story. That’s a cut and paste of a search. Pathetic.

Cameron

20. Old Kim says:

Google is bad for taking you to an add sponser. Ask.com might be better.