It's the Plants, Darling

For Valentine’s Day, Poinsettias?

Valentine1-420Who can blame poinsettia-growers for wanting to expand their market beyond Christmas?   So they've created these
varieties that kinda resemble roses, or close enough to suggest them for Valentine's Day.  At least that's the plan.

So whadaya think?  Could you go for something like this instead of, you know, those rosesRedrose400 that won't last as long?  Me, my favorite gifts are plants that'll grow for years in the ground – a sign of tightwadedness, I suppose.

Photos taken at Homestead Gardens in Maryland.

Posted by on February 10, 2009 at 12:24 pm, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

21 responses to “For Valentine’s Day, Poinsettias?”

1. Elizabeth says:

I’m sorry, but ew. But I shouldn’t talk; I am drowning in all the various bulbs growing in my house. Don’t need any flowers.

2. John says:

Poinsettias have a lot going for them as either a potted plant or a cut flower (they last forever in a vase!) but the marketing efforts to launch them as Christmas decoration were so successful that I just can’t see them as anything but a winter time flower. The gold toned ones would work great in the fall or for Thanksgiving in addition to the pink tones for Valentine’s Day. I love them but I wear them out in December – I don’t even bother with a Christmas tree anymore, the house is filled with poinsettias.

3. tai haku says:

In temperate climes, as disgusting slowly dying potplants? Ewww

As a huge tree out here? I could probably see some uses for these new forms.

4. Brie says:

I personally think Poinsettias are cheesy. While I do think of them as a plant to signal the winter solstice around here, I still wince at the thought of having them around during the holidays…and if anyone tries to give me those for Valentine’s Day I’d have to rethink our relationship, since they obviously don’t know me very well.

Someone said the Poinsettia is the Robert Goulet of the horticultural world…does anyone know where I heard this? Please remind me because I think that’s one of the most hilarious things I’ve ever heard.

5. Lucinda says:

Nice try by the nursery people (bless them), but I doubt it’ll take off – no matter the variety, they still seem like leftovers from the holidays.
    The only decent poinsettias I’ve ever seen were in Tahiti as a 7′ tall hedge!

6. Elizabeth Stump says:

Ooh! I like them! You know, as much as I love roses, in my old age I start to cringe at the thought of what my husband would have to pay for a dozen roses for Valentine’s Day. I prefer tulips anyway. But these are adorable! I could definitely squeal with delight upon receiving these pink charmers.

7. bev says:

Barf. Homestead grows their own and always has so many left over from Christmas that maybe these are the same ones…. (:

8. Rosella says:

Nope. Not me. Don’t like poinsettias except as a hedge in my sub-tropical garden of yesteryear. Anyway, we agreed around here a long time ago that Valentine’s Day is an invented holiday, a profitmaking venture for the florists, candymakers and card shops, and we don’t observe it. Yes, I love flowers. Yes, my husband buys them for me but all year round and not just on this one day.

9. Kari says:

I have always disliked poinsettias and never have them at any time of year.
    And why try to compete on Valentine’s day when most people who would buy flowers are already buying some other flowers. Surely there would be a bigger market if you convinced people they have to have flowers on May Day or the first day of Spring or Groundhog day or something? In fact, I was about to pick up some flowers on Sunday just because the house seems empty now all the paperwhites are done. Then I remembered it was too close to Valentines day and everything wouldbe overpriced….

10. Michelle D. says:

I like poinsettia plants around the Thanksgiving to Christmas holidays but once they are over so is my desire for them.

The only other time I enjoy seeing these plants grow is when I am in Mexico or Hawaii and see them 10 to 12 feet tall with their bright red bracts swaying in the wind.

Poinsettias for Valentines day. Not.
    Their image is too ingrained as a Christmas time plant.

11. Carolyn says:

You’re not a tightwad. Have you noticed how happy a plant is when it’s moved from a pot into the ground. Why, you can almost hear it sigh from relief.

Same goes for poinsettias. In a pot, yuck; in the ground, exotic.

12. Cheryl says:

Gee, I think these are kinda cute.

13. Interesting flower form. I like it, but am not a big Poinsettia fan overall. My mother-in-law plants them in her perennial garden as an attention grabber while soaking up the Midwestern summers.

14. In case anyone would like to know more about poinsettias and how they became the “it” Christmas plant, I wrote an article on them last year: http://sky-bolt.com/poinsettias.htm

As other ranters have pointed out, marketing poinsettias for Valentine’s Day will have to overcome a huge mindset that has become so ingrained in us that they are for Christmas. Homestead’s poinsettias are impressive, though, and if anyone can change some minds, maybe they can. If not you can always visit the llamas next door.

15. That is just wrong! What is better than a bouquet of fresh flowers. They always make me smile.

16. Over my composting corps! Hate those plants, don’t want to buy them or receive them as gifts, ever. And it’s most certainly not what I’d like to receive for Valentine’s day. I’d prefer something a tad more romantic, like a hedge trimmer.

17. Hap says:

Poinsettia’s make me almost willing to buy Roundup! It may just be a carry-over from tending thousands of them on holiday displays in department stores in my miss-spent youth… but really there are just so many nicer winter blooming plants! I would never buy one and can’t even make myself carry them at my nursery! Though with the big boxes selling them at cost there is no reason to. Nasty weeds in my book.

18. Genevieve says:

No way, dude. I barely tolerate them at Christmas. I’m not extending them into another holiday!

And, no, they do not look like roses. Nor do they smell, which is the whole entire point of roses. Hell-o?

Make them taste like chocolate and they might have something.

19. JT says:

I’m all for breaking with hallmark traditions; that’s why I would prefer, say, an aeonium plant which you have to agree also resembles a rose.

20. Nikki Smith says:

And here I was associating Valentine’s with roses … that’s why I posted a list of rose facts & trivia on my blog today. I found a lot of interesting stuff!

Thanks,
    Nikki

21. Old Kim says:

I throw out all poinsettias after the new year. They remind me of winter and when February comes around I’m anticipating spring. I’d rather get packets of seed or some dormant plant with a big bow. Something that we can both look forward to. My husband got me something that lasts. A lb of premium chocolates that add to my abs. I single rose with lacy lingerie would have been better.