Eat This

Sure roses are red, but so are apples, radishes and beets

AppleFlickr~Mclaire~

This article by food writer Jennifer Huget
shows how to express passion with healthy red harvest for your lover's body and soul.

It's risky, though. Radical. Do you dare?

Photo credit.

Posted by on February 12, 2009 at 10:43 am, in the category Eat This.

8 responses to “Sure roses are red, but so are apples, radishes and beets”

1. Jacqueline says:

Of all the delicious red foods, red meat (not surprisingly left out of the “Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy” column) is my favorite. I do love a nice, rare steak.

As it happens though, my husband and I went out for sushi for Valentine’s Day.

2. I thought Huget’s approach of considering the red fare in healthy diets was a clever take on a decadent, made-up holiday. We could all eat healthier and love our bodies a little more. No cupid required.

3. Old Kim says:

I was paging through seed catalogs and came upon Peter Pepper. Some Phallic funny veg. They come in red and green.

4. Brie says:

I’m not a fan of typical V.day fare, but a bouquet of beets would be a hit! Especially an assortment that includes Chioggas… I would just die. But if it must be decadent, I’d take a slice of red velvet cake and a clover club cocktail.

sarahammocks — your Valentines stew sounds great!

5. Sunset says:

How about combining healthy eating with a little decadence? Maria Hunt’s recipe for a Pomegrante Gimlet would be perfect for Valentinie’s Day. It’s on Sunset’s garden blog. http://freshdirt.sunset.com/2008/12/cocktails-from.html

6. Kathy J, Washington Gardener says:

Ditto – a raspberry-dark choc combo anything (cake, truffle, etc.) says luxury treat to me. A Valentine gift of Beets? Um, no.

7. sarahammocks says:

Funny, I made a roasted vegetable soup/stew the other night with quinoa, then added roasted beets to it which turned it a peculiar but lovely rosy shade–I called it Valentines stew. It was delicious.
    I’m with Renate–nothing is better than top of the line chocolates.

8. Oh, come on. I’m sure all those things are good for you, but Mr Mouse and I indulge in them anyway. If you’re going to do V-day, it has to be something special. I bought 4 dark-chocolate truffles (two hazelnut, two chili) at the farmer’s market last Sunday. Locally made. Have to eat them within 2 weeks or they’ll spoil. Well, I’m sure we’ll have no problems (IF I’m invited to share ;->)