It's the Plants, Darling

Think artificial turf is weed-free? Ha!

Turfwars2_3

This just in from Ginny Stibolt:

We are in Hawaii right now and I spotted this situation:

Along a hell strip on a military base, someone has
installed a few sections of a tidy-looking artificial turf, but weeds have grown
up through it.  My husband tried to pull them up, but since this weed has
runners, pulling the weed also pulls up the turf mat.  I assume that this is not
a desirable situation for the longevity of the turf.

So the claim that no
chemicals are needed is probably not true.  Landscape managers will probably use
some herbicide on those tough weeds that sprout through the
mat.

It’s always something, as Gilda Radner would have
said.

Posted by on January 6, 2009 at 11:45 am, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

17 responses to “Think artificial turf is weed-free? Ha!”

1. gardenmentor says:

This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing it!

2. I’ve wondered about that artificial turf for a long time. I’m guessing that if they didn’t put down a barrier then they will have to mow the artificial turf too.

3. Michele Owens says:

Somehow that photo is profound. Nature just will not be beaten.

4. Kate Gardner says:

Tee hee. That weed looks like nutsedge, which is one of the worst for pushing up through barriers. Only bamboo, which can come up through concrete, is worse.

–Kate

5. Brie says:

Cracks me up!

I’ve seen people round-up their ground, lay down weed barrier, then a layer of gravel, and weeds still pop up through it all.

Controlling nature will always require some form of maintenance. Either embrace nature’s will or learn to love (or at least tolerate) keeping it in check!

6. Nut Grass in Hawaii will actually make a passable lawn and Kyllinga brevifolia is an even better perennial sedge lawn for wetter soils.

7. That’s what happens when proper sub base and underlayment is not properly and or professionally installed.

Contrary to common belief , installation of artificial turf, concrete patios, wood decking and other outdoor hardscaping elements is not maintenance free and how it holds up to the elements depends on the quality of the product as well as the quality of the installation.

8. Plantanista says:

Ew, and the chemical interaction between the artificial turf and the herbicide ought to be interesting…

Nutsedge is notoriously hard to kill, so it will probably get several barrages of Roundup.

9. caliGardengirl says:

Well, I guess this answers our question: “Is artificial turf permeable?” Yup, it is.

10. Yes, it is nutsedge. Good for you ranters who can ID a weed via a small photo.

I didn’t mention that there is a layer of black stuff under and coming up through the turf. I assume it’s rubber. The turf is nice to walk on–quite springy and the blades are not stiff, but nice and soft. I’d guess that this installation follows the procedures for an athletic field.

But then there are the weeds… Thanks for posting this Susan.

11. jt says:

Artificial turf, genuine maintenance nightmare.

12. greg draiss says:

I have the sme problem when I pull up stray fibers of artificial turf in my lawn

The TROLL

13. Dreamybee says:

Are you sure that picture didn’t come from my back yard?? LOL. We just had some sod put in and are dealing with the nutsedge too. Our landscaper recommended a product called SedgeHammer. We found it at WalMart, and it seems to be working ok. I hate the chemical warfare myself, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

14. Wes says:

I agree with Christopher’s post. I think artificial turf can get a bad rap from improper installation.

15. Wes says:

Not all artificial turf is impervious to weeds. The artificial grass stitched into the black backing (urethane) has holes drilled in it, and this problem is common with this backing. Some artificial grass is stitched into a backing which has no holes. Only water can get through. Of course this is a much more expensive product so few are using it.

16. Contrary to common belief , installation of artificial turf, concrete patios, wood decking and other outdoor landscaping elements is not maintenance free and how it holds up to the elements depends on the quality of the product as well as the quality of the installation.

17. lawn has always been a mistake and apparently will continue to be a mistake and will continue to be a feature in the landscape. why not have parquet wood instead of a lawn? I have never seen weeks grow through parquet wood, although I have gotten splinters from it. goats might help. Sheep.