Everybody's a Critic

The winner—and by the way, none of you were right

Jodi/Blooming Writer is the randomly-chosen winner of the Nichols compilation; I think she’ll enjoy it. The “contest” part of this was really unwinnable. You’ll be surprised by the correct answers.

…it reminds me of a clump of laurels on which someone has hung the weekly washing referred to DATURA.

as embarrassing as a middle-aged lady standing on the steps of a provincial town hall, disguised as Cleopatra for the annual fancy dress ball at the Rotary Club referred to PAMPAS GRASS (in the middle of a lawn).

…gaunt, gawky, and deliberately deformed by man, with its tortured, amputated limb sticking out in all directions, demanding pity rather than praise referred to HYBRID TEA ROSES (badly pruned).

Congratulations, Jodi, and thanks to all for playing.

We’ll have more giveaways to cheer everyone up during these hard economic times.

Posted by on January 29, 2009 at 4:30 am, in the category Everybody's a Critic.

6 Responses to “The winner—and by the way, none of you were right”

1. Yes, congratulations Jodi. It is a good thing you said we didn’t have to be right. I think you would have to have been there in person to get those descriptions applied to those plants.

2. jodi says:

Gosh, I never win ANYTHING! Does this mean that I should go out and buy a lottery ticket? Thanks, Elizabeth and cohorts. I really look forward to reading this book; as I said, I love Nichols’ clever British wit.

3. Susan Harris says:

Oh, I think her description of hybrid tea roses works even for correctly pruned ones.

4. Lois, Zone 5 says:

This reminds me. I’ve enjoyed the unique wit of Beverly Nichols and Henry Mitchell because they were opinionated and funny. Can anyone recommend other classic literary garden writers from the past who were as intriguing as these curmudgeons? Has anyone compiled a list of the masters, both classic and modern? Is Amy writing such a book?
    On another topic, if your cable provider includes the Ovation Channel, look for the Pearl Fryar documentary this Sunday evening, February 1, at 8:00pm.

5. Lois, Zone 5 says:

Oops. It was a mistake to imply that Nichols was a crabby writer. His garden books are spirited, gossipy, and addictive.

6. luise h. says:

Congratulations Jodi.Yes,absolutely buy that Lotterieticket.Enjoy the Book.I will buy it.