I Don't Have a Garden, but I Watch One on TV

Cabin fever, part I: The Teaflower

Here is my contribution to the Garden Rant library of instructional media. This was created not with a cool Flip device, but with my beat-up Olympus still camera (that happens to take video as well) and iMovie.

Um … enjoy.

I won’t be so brash as to promise any future videos I do will be better.

Posted by on January 14, 2009 at 5:00 am, in the category I Don't Have a Garden, but I Watch One on TV.

23 Responses to “Cabin fever, part I: The Teaflower”

1. Marte says:

Hilarious! Right at the very end it looked like a tiny little person in there, Elisabeth; maybe they really were organs! Thanks for making me laugh in this -7 dark morning in Minnesota.

2. I think beauty is in the cup of the beholder. I’m still laughing, and wondering if you drank the tea after all of that?

3. Les says:

What the critics are saying:

…gripping…
    …riveting…
    …edge of your seat excitement…
    …I can’t wait for the sequel…
    …this year’s “Watching Paint Dry”…

(written in good fun, Les)

4. Dan Eskelson says:

Amazing work Elizabeth! Your videography skills astound…where did you take your training?

5. Kathy says:

What cabin fever will drive us to! You *have* done better plant videos before. There was that one for a fundraiser . . .

6. Steph says:

Elizabeth, I think maybe you’re a little desperate to get back to the garden, no?

How many times did you say a “suburban office park”?

Whatever the inspiration (or desperation), I loved it! Keep ‘em coming, please!

7. It’s an instant classic! A fresh look at how to goof off at work. The blockbuster tea making movie of the season!
    It is really interesting to watch it unfurl. I’m not sure it looks completely unlike a flower. And I loved the falling snow in the background.

8. eliz says:

Thanks Kathy (and all), Kathy, actually that secret sex life of plants one is now a silent film–I have to put some royalty free music on it.

What do you mean goofing off at work!! I did this on my own time. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

9. Not much work to be done in the suburban office park today Elizabeth?

10. Daphne Gould says:

So funny. Too bad you did this on the 14th. It could have been your bloom day post if it were the 15th.

11. Cindy, MCOK says:

Nice use of dramatic tension and you got the idea for those interesting camera angles from Soderbergh, didn’t you?

12. Pam J. says:

You didn’t drink that did you?

13. eliz says:

I did drink it, Pam. Strong jasmine flavor; it was fine.

14. Jeff Gillman says:

Very amusing — great work!

15. Amy Stewart says:

Brilliant. The drama, the pathos…

16. alan says:

Love it! I agree–an instant classic (of what genre, I’m not sure…)

17. katie says:

It does look kind of like organs.

18. Martha Stewart meets Nature’s George Page.

This could go viral.

Yes I watched a four and a half minute video for the twenty minutes or more that it took.

19. Pam says:

My sister gave us several of those tea flowers for Christmas one year. I always thought they looked like sea urchins in my tea. My husband and I had the, “I’m not gonna try it, you try it!” discussion as we watched it unfurl.

Thanks for the laugh!

20. Mary Schier says:

I got the same tea thing for Christmas. The tea’s not bad — not great, but not bad.

21. Mad Tomatl says:

Great video! Surely beats TV fare. And here I sit in the depth of winter, temperature sinking toward zero, and chuckling at an unfolding tea flower. Thanks for the great cinematography — and humor!

22. Georgia says:

America’s Funniest Work Video!

I plan to post at Notes on Tea (http://notesontea.blogspot.com).

23. Denise says:

Mesmerizing. Expected the face-hugger alien to leap out of the teacup and terrorize the suburban office park…

And you’ve got a voice made for FM radio. I hate hearing my voice recorded!