Designs, Tricks, and Schemes

Insane holiday lighting from all over

2121977084_5625b5f2b1_b
200,000 lights—by terren in Virginia (Flickr))

It wouldn’t be December if we didn’t have at least one post featuring bizarre lighting displays. This year, I found this site.

One example from the many, many over-the-top illumination scenes you’ll find is above. Thanks, Neatorama, for the link.

I am also wondering if concerns about energy costs and general sustainability have caused a dip in festive lighting this year. Anyone using solar holiday lights? How do they work? I am always afraid the gray winter sky wouldn’t provide enough charge for them.

Posted by on December 18, 2008 at 4:32 am, in the category Designs, Tricks, and Schemes.

10 Responses to “Insane holiday lighting from all over”

1. I switched to LED lights last year because they are supposed to be more energy efficient.

2. Katie says:

Everyone in my neighborhood is decorating for Christmas like it is the END OF THE WORLD. I’m going to have to put some pictures on the blog.

Every time I drive by these two houses that are across the street from each other, they have tried (again) to one-up each other and have added more lights and more inflatables! AAACK!

We just light our flamingos. Lights + Giant metal flamingos =enough tackiness

3. Susan Cohan says:

I have a real problem with outdoor holiday lighting. It has extended beyond Christmas. We now have displays in my neighborhood for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day, Easter and the 4th of July. I’m no Scrooge, I cherish these holidays as much as the next, but it’s just not in the spirit of the seasonal celebrations to waste that much energy. If you want to give a ‘gift’ to your neighbors, then donate to the local food bank or volunteer or take your friends caroling–write a check to a local charity for the an amount equal to your increased energy bill. If its keeping up with and outdoing the Joneses, then shame on you.

4. greg draiss says:

Fewer lighting expositions around here in the Albany region.

One thought though on cutting back…there is a fine line between cutting back and putting small gardeners out of business. Think carefully where you intend to spend your dollars in 2009.

If you are really serious about this locavore/save the earth stuff then support yor local nursery to the hilt. The boxes may have cheaper prices on edging and the usual accoutrments but their plants suck. Skip the edging and plant an extra tomato plant.

The TROLL

5. Nancy says:

I have such mixed feelings about these. If we’re going to use electricity like that, it should definitely contribute to happiness – and I think lights like this can do that. But clean skies from less coal probably create more happiness…

Our front yard faces north, and we do not get enough sun on the north side of our house to keep even little solar path lights lit in winter, unless we put the panel right along the curb.

6. Eliz says:

To be fair, I’m guessing that a lot of the displays on the site are LED-based. I have some battery-operated LEDs this year, cause we don’t have an outside outlet.

7. Renate says:

I haven’t seen it personally, but friends have raved about an LED, solar-powered display in Sunnyvale that collects money for the food bank. http://www.lightsofthevalley.com/Properties/Detail.asp?i=272
    Now, if only everyone rode their bike there. Or walked…

8. I like seeing a few nice tastefully decorated night lit homes.
    It’s cheerful.
    But the grossly gaudy and garish over use is simply a statement of poor taste, mindless over consumption, and lack of regard for your adjoining neighbors who have to deal with hordes of gawkers who drive their stinky idling SUV’s into the neighborhood for a laugh at the ridiculous display of consumerism gone awry.

9. Renate says:

So, here’s the real link for the two houses in Sunnyvale, CA. Considering it’s all solar powered and they collect money for the food bank, I don’t think it’s all bad. Maybe I will ride my bike there next week.

10. SJ says:

Call me a Bible thumper but I wonder if the folks that create these huge displays remember what the real meaning of Christmas is? Jesus.

My guess is that it’s been lost somewhere in their quest to show off.

I like the suggestions of donating the money & time you would of spent on the lights to a food pantry.

An additional suggestion would be to take the money you save on electricity and play Santa Claus to a few needy children. That’s what we did this year.