Uncategorized

The, um, surprising husbands of GardenRant readers

After my recent post about the Hunky Farmer Calendar, I got this photo, with the following note:
Kimwood400

"A client took this photo of my husband planting a
Scotch poodle pine. The pine looks out of place but Jeff is an attractive male
gardener and you’re welcome to use this pic if you want to. Just for fun!  Old
Kim."

So Kim, are you totally robbing the cradle or does "old" have some trick meaning?  Coz Jeff here is one young buck, "attractive" being an understatement.

Also on the marital front, I got this desperate email from the husband of a GardenRant reader in my area:

"My wife told me today that for our anniversary tomorrow I should look at the Rant or get her gardening stuff, but she is really a minimalist and I think she has the tools except for a Hoe which could get me in trouble. I was thinking about bulbs…I have no idea of what to get.  we have some bulbs but not many.  Can you help? Please!"

So I named a few bulb suppliers, both local and mail order, and wished him luck.  His response was "You the cool!" so I guess he survived yet another anniversary.

Now I’m the last person in the world to give marital advice, about gift-giving or anything else, so I’ll refrain and let our trusty readers weigh in.

And y’all, we totally love this stuff, so keep it coming.

Posted by on December 9, 2008 at 12:13 pm, in the category Uncategorized.

13 responses to “The, um, surprising husbands of GardenRant readers”

1. I’ll take one, ( a Hunky Gardener )

Old Kim’s would do just nicely.

New Michelle

2. tai haku says:

wth happened to that pine tree!?!

3. Liisa says:

You want hunky gardening husbands? Here is mine, with the fruits of our labor: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JLCY1LpH4JeK-7gPH5XOmQ?authkey=hDTLg7cXlng

4. Why would getting someone a Hoe get you in trouble? A Hoe is a perfectly good gardening tool, though who can own just one?

5. Benjamin says:

I think it’s about time for the most attractive male blogger comeptition. I know I won’t win on looks, so I hope personality would be a part of the equation: my junior year of college I got 3rd place in the BMOC contest (and a trophy!), partly, I think, because I do a mean beat box. What lasts longer and entertains more anyway, looks, or music?

6. Benjamin says:

Male GARDEN blogger, I mean. And also “competition.” Oy.

7. Okay Benjamin, I challenge you to an attractive male blogger competition. First round – do you have one eyebrow, or two?

Oops. Never mind. I just looked up your photo on your blog. You win.

8. arythrina says:

@tai haku: ha! I love that you noticed the shape of the poodled pine first. It is quite a sight isn’t it? The pine, I mean…

9. My husband and I are no longer is our first youth, so to ask him to be ‘hunky’ might be too much, but he is always ready to dig a hole, pay out for a full truckload of compost or build us a summer house where we can rest after digging and spreading. No hunk can beat that!

10. JimShy says:

Hey all you pretty lil’ garden grrrls out there! Lookin’ for a hunky gardener man to dig your bulbs for you? Let me tie up your vines, baby! Nobody prunes like me, let me tell ya . . . ;>)

Seriously, when I saw the first calendar post, I couldn’t decide (still can’t) whether to go for some pretend outrage at the alleged reverse sexism being displayed (“as a minority hetero man in the gardening world I am shocked, simply shocked!” etc.) or to lament that I wouldn’t have made the final 12 (I’m more of the sensitive, intellectual type: http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0220/p13s01-lign.html)

And I’m all for more sex in the garden (or out of it), but really . . . . poodle pines??? For shame, for shame!!

If somebody wants to start the male garden blogger competetion, it ain’t gonna be me — why can’t we go co-ed and set up a flicker portfolio of gardeners/spouses/hunks/hoes?

Jim

11. Old Kim says:

At first I was embarrassed at our age difference. Most people though have no idea and if I tell them they think it’s great.
    We complement each other well. Anyway the women I know are usually more energetic than their mates, especially as they age.

12. I’m with commonweeder. A husband who is cooperative with garden projects when needed is more important to me than whether he’s a candidate for a GQ cover. Fit is good, though and knowledge of how things work for fixing or setting up stuff. My fit and handy husband is working on putting in another three rain barrels for a total of seven! I’m a happy camper.

13. When I told my friends that I was marrying my husband, one of them said, “You’re choosing poor but handsome.”

Two decades later, he’s still handsome, but surly and uncooperative in the garden–way too busy even to contribute brawn to my schemes.

Ah well, none of us is perfect. I’m just grateful somebody’s willing to stay married to a woman who always has dirt up her nose.