Eat This

Among “Top Blogs for Foodies”, where are the growers?

Topfoodies

Congratulations to Friend of Rant Ed Bruske, whose blog The Slow Cook is cited as a top "Healthy and Green"
food blog among the Top Blogs for Foodies.

But gee, out of 100 it looks like Ed’s one of about TWO who grow their own.  Anyone predicting that that might change?

VICTORY GARDEN UPDATE
Also on the food front, the Blogging Nurseryman Trey Pitsenberger took Amy up on her suggestion that someone report on the San Francisco City Hall publicity stunt garden, and here it is.  Seems it’s wound up costing even more than the projected $180,000.

Thanks, Trey.

Posted by on October 28, 2008 at 12:40 pm, in the category Eat This.

8 responses to “Among “Top Blogs for Foodies”, where are the growers?”

1. trey says:

The Victory Garden Concept is one worthy of being pursued. I think everyone should be able to enjoy fresh grown vegetables. There are numerous lot’s throughout San Francisco that could be converted into neighborhood Victory Gardens.

It would have been more productive, and ultimatley more inspiring to see gardens that could be left in ground from year to year. San Francisco’s mild climate allows vegetable growing year round.

I suppose the S.F. Victory Garden could be looked upon as useful theater. It has sparked controversy, and that’s not always a bad thing. However, for The Mayor to keep the “play” going beyond it’s schedule end, seems a waste of tax payers dollars.

2. Michele Owens says:

I’m with Ed Bruske. If you’re really serious about food, grow your own. Absolutely nothing compares to just-picked.

3. Karen says:

I’d like to recommend Willi at Digginfood – http://www.digginfood.com/ – her blog is mostly recipes cooked with things she grows herself. And they’re really good!

4. Karen says:

Also want to chime in on the SF Victory Garden – I think its goal was to call attention to the cause of growing food in public spaces, not necessarily to balance the city’s budget. It certainly got a lot of people thinking, and in that sense I think it accomplished what it was meant to. SF is often in the vanguard of doing stuff that seems out there at first (needle exchange, gay marriage, banning plastic bags) but that hopefully calls attention to important issues and eventually influences other cities to do the same.

5. Ok this is a little self serving, but I blog about growing and cooking my own food.

6. greg draiss says:

My blog is mostly about bbq-ing but I post a lot about growing the veggies I grill.

The (pillsbury doghboy) TROLL

7. gardenmentor says:

I love Willi’s DigginFood too! I write a lot about the food I grow and what I do with it — sometimes that means a recipe.

And, I bet some of you are still wondering about that lemon verbena simple syrup and cocktail…well…http://www.gardenhelp.org/books/cookbooks/lemon-verbena-how-to-grow-preserve-and-enjoy-all-year/

8. I live in the East Bay around 25 miles from San Francisco, so the Victory Garden generated a lot of local press and discussion. One friend, who is a garden designer and passionate about sustainable approaches, blasted it as the “Photo Opportunity Garden” and encouraged fellow designers to join her in an email protest campaign.

Another friend, who specializes in edible gardens and has been volunteering at the Victory Garden, takes the opposite view, and like Karen’s post, sees the garden as an opportunity to educate the public on the value of a healthy food system.

I posted both their points of view on my blog in early September after visiting the garden. At that time I was still on the fence, but considering the amount of interest and discussion that still continues around this topic, I’m inclined to think the PR benefit outweighs the taint of hypocrisy.